Friday, September 13, 2013

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Miss Bit's love of swimming.  I see a new side of her...confident, take charge, competitive...that I haven't seen much of before. She was bummed that she only had practice twice this week.

New swimsuits for our resident swimmer.  Goggles, cap and athletic bag too.

Jess came for dinner Tuesday night.  We made chicken Marsala, Parmesan risotto and roasted carrots.  She said it was restaurant quality.  I didn't get a picture because it was 8 o'clock and we were all just starving, but it it looked almost as good as it tasted.

Roasted carrots.  I don't think I'll like eating them any other way now quite as much.

T. Bone decided to skip cross country this year.  I am proud that he realized his limits.

Banana bread baked in my new pottery bowl and with my new Extrait de Vanille both gifts for my birthday. The pottery is from Lebanon (WI) and the vanilla from St. Martin (VI).  Who doesn't love a round loaf of bread?


Meryl Streep is going to play Hilde in Leary's Good House.  Jennifer Lawrence is starring in Jeanette Walls's Glass Castle.  I expect both performances by two of my favorite actresses to be brilliant.  I read the feature on Lawrence in this month's Vogue and I like her even more.

The other day Miss Bit mused how no one likes crows.  Then she said, If anyone asks me what my favorite animal is today, I'm gonna say crows cuz' everybody hates them.  Not contrary...just kind.

Pandora specifically Rickie Lee Jones Radio these days.  I turned it on the other day and Beat Angels was on followed by Joni Mitchell's California, Stevie Nick's Landslide, Natalie Merchant's These Are The Days, Paul Simon's Slip Slidn' Away, Carole King's So Far Away...it's all just music for my soul.

Wednesday I was having a hard morning.  It was a rainy, cloudy morning.  I love a grey day lots, but I also love to get out and walk.  As soon as I finished blogging, the sun came out.  I was able to clear my head as I clocked miles.  Then the clouds came back out once I was home.  I couldn't have ordered a better day.

Hummingbirds.  At the beach...in my yard.  As we made our trek up from Bay Beach, Miss Bit stood mesmerized by a creature visiting some late season blooms. It has striped wings. What kind of bug is it? she asked. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was a hummingbird, one of God’s most amazing creations. Suddenly a couple more buzzed right by us and swarmed all around the flowers beside us not the least bit shy.

Turtle rescue. I carried this little snapper from the middle of the road to the edge of the pond...about a quarter mile!


Swimming at gloaming with my girl.


Spontaneity.

A partner in crime.

Coach's mashed potatoes.  I don't even want to know how many sticks of butter were in them, but they sure were good.

T. Bone is on offense now.  He's happy...I'm happy.

We met all of T. Bone's teachers last night.  I think it's going to be a great year.

He plum forgot to do his English homework the other night.  This is the first time in the history of Ted that he has not done his homework.  He's fastidious.  Mrs. G. is a self-professed whip cracker so he got a 50% at the end of the day when he completed it.  This bothered him more than a bit.  He got in the car rambling about the situation, the outcome and the fact it is still possible to get an A for the homework portion of his grade.  I listened and then I said, It's not life or death.  You made a mistake.  No one got hurt.  You learned from it.  Move on.  He relaxed in the seat beside me and said, It's only 7th grade English.  I kept telling myself that all day.  Then he turned up the radio. 

We survived the first full week of the school year mostly unscathed.

TGIF!  It takes on new meaning this time of year!