Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy New Year!

When I woke up to the sun shining earlier, I confess I was crabby.  I wanted it to be a grey, overcast day.  At least at the onset.  That's because Miss Bit and I dashed plans to wake up before the sun this morning before bed last night.  In yesterday's end of day hours, rising early today struck me as almost silly.  I wholly regret that decision now.  I know it wouldn't have been frivolous to watch the sun come up over the horizon with my feet buried in the cold sand.  I'm praying for clear skies Saturday.  That's our rain date.

That being owned up to, we are enjoying our lazy morning.  T. Bone is still in bed.  He had back to back practices last night.  First cross country and then football.  I think he's reconsidering this dual sport idea.  I doubt he can eat enough calories to keep himself fueled at this level.  Miss Bit just finished breakfast: baked french toast with berries and cream.  I had to speak sternly lest there be no berries for her brother.  There's no school today.  It's Rosh Hashanah.  Shanah Tovah!

I was talking to a friend who celebrates this holiday, and I decided that it's a perfect time for honoring the promise and potential of a new year.  The month of September is perfectly poised for spiritual renewal.  I feel awakened to an attitude adjustment and a cleaning of house in this ninth month that is full of endings and beginnings.  It seems like the time for recommitment to do good...be good...be better.  In January, I just want to put on my fresh flannels and escape into my new books.  I want to lose myself, not find myself.

Today I refuse to begrudge the shining sun any longer.  I made a choice and now I will live with it.  Accept it.  Own it.  We will be. here. now today in other ways both big and small, and all of them important.