Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New Normal


All I can tell you is that it feels out of body strange to be home all alone. Today it is as of I am viewing my life from elsewhere...above. The house is eerily quiet.  And tidy.  The laundry, all of it including towels and bedding, is done.  Dinner is prepped.  Tomorrow's breakfast too.  The car is washed and waxed.  What to do? Who to be?

I just finished the September calendar.  I think we may be a little over-scheduled.  The first words out of T. Bone's mouth when I picked him up from school yesterday were, Can I join cross country?  Yes, in addition to football.  Surprisingly there's little over lap so I was inclined too assent.  We did assent.  And then he was eating dinner just before 9 and struggling through his first day of school homework until just before bed after 10 o'clock.  Apparently card tricks are tricky.  The deck even had Coach, our resident math expert, stumped for a time.  And then I started to wonder whether we are pushing limits that contain us so comfortably.

Miss Bit, my homebody, is joining swim team and starting rehearsals for Aladdin, which will be performed in January.  It's your get your feet wet kind of production that I believe will be such a growing experience for her.  Yet she could have extracurricular activities 5 out of  7 days of the week and that's not including Girl Scouts.  What was I thinking?  Are we toying with maxims that keep us safe and sane and smiling?

The truth is we won't know for certain how much is too much until we take on more.  We'll tweak each day, every week until we get it just right, and then we'll reevaluate come late fall.  Nothing is forever: such a bittersweet realization.  Bitter when you cannot get enough and sweet when all you want is more.