Saturday, September 28, 2013

Dear Mom,

In a couple hours, five years ago this morning we said 'goodbye.'  You were no longer able to speak, but even without words you were able to get your point across beautifully.  You took my hand.  You took my brother's hand.  Your two children...your pride and joy. You held our hands together between your fragile, bony hands.  You looked at us with tears in your milky, soulful eyes.  You looked into us.  I felt it.  I felt your love, your gratitude and also your sadness.  I know you felt our's too.  You squeezed our hands tight and long.  I heard in that grasp you saying, I am leaving for now, but I will love you forever. Then you removed your hand from the pile and clasped our hands together.  It is just the two of you now.  Take care of each other. Remember me.  You took your last few breaths and passed on peacefully. 

It seems impossible that five years have passed.  I talk to you every day.  There are days I know you are listening.  I hope today is one of them.  Please send me a sign Mom.  I'll be watching.  A shiny orange VW convertible will do. I'll be listening.  The whir of the hummingbird's wings as it hovers atop our streptocarpella will be just fine.  I need one today.  And if nothing else please help me feel peace in my heart.

I miss you as much as I love you Mom,

Krissy