Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Be.Here.Now.

Just before the gloaming yesterday, Miss Bit and I took a walk on the beach. I didn't really want to because in my head there were many other tasks that needed doing, but I cannot put into words how glad I was that we did...just because...just the two of us. The scene was a postcard. Naturally, I wanted to capture the moment even while admitting that my amateur skills and idiot-proof point and shoot would never do justice to the beauty. Looking back, I'm now grateful that I left my camera at home. In forgetting it, I was reminded of the sharpness and the softness of simply seeing the scene not through a lens, and without a filter. I was struck by what a difference there is in existing for and in the moment instead of trying to capture it or preserve it.

Be.Here.Now.

Be.Here.Now. It was the mantra that was pulsing through every cell in my body. Feel the cold water sting your bare feet. Feel that just when you think you cannot stand to step on one more sharp rock, you are suddenly on the silky, cool sand. Feel the lake breeze that when it blows sends a shiver down your spine even as it smells of summer. Smell the stench of beached fish mixed together with algae and know while it isn't pleasant, it is familiar and that in and of itself is agreeable. Hear the gulls caw caw overhead, your daughter's stones skipping......P-L-O-P!, and the waves rolling up against the pier. See the way the translucent water meets the opaque sand meets the teeming with every color of the rainbow line of trees on the bursting with color bluff. See the so soon-to-be mother baring her beautiful baby bump for a photo shoot, the newly engaged couple getting their photographs in just the right light, the girl and boy just going steady sharing an innocent kiss on a rock, the kids beach combing, the friends walking and talking and see yourself in each and every one of them for you have been them...there. Feel the energy of all of the beginnings and endings of the day, the season, this life. Feel the energy as the tide ebbs and flows. Feel the energy as the sun wanes to the west to reveal a perfect apparition of the moon on the rise. Feel the energy as you breathe in deeply and exhale deliberatley. Feel the joy as you smile from deep within. Be.Here.Now.

As we made our way along the shore, Miss Bit proudly presented me with a red heart-shaped rock. I couldn't help but share a little story with her and as usual she was all ears (and heart). It's a story she's heard before, but last night she was really listening. I told her that Nanny would collect rocks wherever we would go. My Mom would bring them all the way home to her garden. I shared with her how on the first Mother's Day after Nanny passed we were walking on the beach and my girl found the first perfect heart-shaped red rock of our collection. Miss Bit picked it up and proudly proclaimed, "I think Nanny put this rock here so I would find it and know she loves me." (Or something like that...she was like 4 so that was 3 years ago.) Let me tell you it made perfect sense to me...still does. So we brought this flawless heart-shaped red rock home for our garden last night and many others because when you really use your imagination many rocks look exactly like hearts, but very few are red. I've lost count of just how many heart-shaped rocks we have accumulated since Miss Bit found our first years ago. Whenever I find one though, I feel compelled to add it to our collection.

After I finished answering all of her questions about this little tidbit of family history, my 7 year old quipped, "Mom, I'm so happy I inspirated you." (Sorry Spellcheck...that is no typo. I report the truth.)

If she only knew.

Be.Here.Now.

No comments: