Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hmmm????

I've had a couple situations this week that caused me to really question authority and the direction our society is going in.

First off, T. Bone was released from school at 10:20 Monday due to a power outage. I found out that my son was not where I thought he was from a friend who called me at work after being unable to reach me on my cell. She was at work too, but was kind and thoughtful enough as she always is to arrange for T. Bone to get a ride home from another mother to their house. Basically, her 12 year old son was in charge of the 10 year olds. She received an e mail from the school. Apparently, I did as well at 10:41 in my junk mail AFTER the children had been released. I provided my work number on numerous forms I filled out in the registration process, but the school didn't contact me directly. Instead they sent an email blast and called it a day. CYA...I don't think so. What really irked me was this line in the email: The safety of your child is our highest priority and without power, students are unable to use the restroom facilities and we cannot serve lunch. Hmmm?? If their concern is for the safety of our children, then how could they possibly explain releasing them without certainty that they would be supervised? How could they feel comfortable that these 5th through 8th graders would actually go home and if they did that they could get in? So I called the superintendent and spoke with someone in her office because that is who generated the email. She was chawed that I was chawed. She said, "Well, we sent an email." And when I let her know that not everyone is connected to their electronic mail all day every day, she said, "Well, we let kids use their cell phones." When I let her know that not every kid, and certainly not most 10 year olds have a cell phone, she said, "Well, you'll have to talk to the principal." CYA and pass the buck two of my pet peeves.

Then the mother of one of Miss Bit's classmates called me the other night to set up a play date with the girls. She is new to the school and we have not yet met. She called me and yet I got the distinct impression that she wanted me to have her daughter over. When I paused a little long, she chimed in, "Well, I guess we can just do it at our house." She didn't give a time so I had to call her to find out the details. She gave me 3 numbers. I found that a tad obnoxious. I dropped Miss Bit off yesterday morning since they had a late start day, and I was surprised to be greeted by the nanny/housekeeper/chauffeur in a uniform to boot. As a parent, I think she should have informed me that she would not be home, but that so and so would. I wasn't so sure that so and so was even expecting Miss Bit and that was a little uncomfortable. I thought big, fancy house... important 3 phone number career and no manners.

Yesterday I went for a little pampering after my retail therapy. It's one of those salons where you can just walk in so you may or may not have to wait. It was the evening before a holiday and many ladies (I am using this term loosely) were coming in for last minute manicures and pedicures before heading to new year's celebrations. There is a language barrier between many of the technicians and customers, and in fact, the lovely girl who gave me one of the best pedicures I have ever had, barely spoke a word of English. I couldn't believe the way some of these women were talking to these girls, literally snapping their fingers at them, barking orders, just being ugly.

Hmmm? At times, I wonder if there is any hope for the human race. I'd like to know what's happened to personal responsibility, decency and courtesy.

No comments: