Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Day




I don't have a picture of T. Bone and Miss Bit together from the first morning of this new school year because my girl was still sound asleep when her brother left for school with his Dad. He woke easily and was full of thanks that I set my alarm even earlier so I could make him his favorite homemade cinnamon rolls...a heartfelt, belly warming, stick to his ribs middle school send-off. After he left, I found her still snug as a sweet little bug in my bed where she finally fell asleep last night after some tossing, turning and tears. At her lowest point she confessed in the dark beside me, "I just don't like to be separated from you when I don't want to be." It made me smile slighty, but, of course, I understood in only the way a mom can and I cuddled with her until we both felt comforted...calmed...carried away. Funny how just the night before she went to bed wishing on a star that she could go to school Wednesday morning. She hit it off big time with her teacher at Tuesday's Meet and Greet, and also discovered she was to be seated beside her BFF. The change of emotions only took me a little by surprise, and I wasn't even a bit phased that she woke up excited for her first day of second grade...another 180. After all, I am a girl too so I get the highs, I know the lows, and I have had the quick changes. All bright smiles she put on the outfit she carefully planned the night before, we changed her earrings and did her hair. She passed on the cinnamon buns opting for her go to...a pancake on a stick instead. She stoically decided I didn't need to walk her onto the playground like so many other parents so we waited our turn in the drop-off line, kissed goodbye a couple times, and then I watched her skip from my sight. No tears...not her's, not mine. Over their favorite homemade cookie bars (I'm feeling just a wee bit guilty that I haven't been cooking much lately and am trying to make up for it), T. Bone and Miss Bit both shared that they had great days. I'm feeling confident that my kiddos are going to have stellar years too. The icing on the cake (or the cinnamon roll) is that I was actually ready and happy to go to work today myself after a long end of summer reprieve. This was not a bad way to start off a new school year. I'm almost ready to say...bring it on.

No comments: