Saturday, September 3, 2011

First Week

So we're through with the first week if...IF you can call two days a week. I say yes, I can. All systems are not quite a go at Casa Wags, but soon they will be. We only had malts for dinner one night this past week and that was a major improvement. Home cooked, non-processed meals were served the other nights. Never mind that we're not enjoying family dinners regularly. That's sort of impossible when two of our members are at football practice or scrimmages until close to 8:00 every night. By the time the boys get home, we girls are deeply engrossed in quality entertainment. No, not books if you must know. We've got several episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras tivoed and I love the show because it makes me look like a really excellent Mom in my girl's eyes. Miss Bit is ever thankful that I don't force her to wear flippers that fall out, fake eye lashes or fake boobies and butts. Although she did say she'd think about doing so for Halloween this year. That would either be hilarious or disgusting...I haven't decided. Nonetheless, healthy eating, homework and exercise are on the horizon just as soon as I get over this cellulitis I mysteriously contracted and have been treating as a strained hip flexor and idiot ice burn for over two weeks. I finally went to the walk in clinic after my whole right thigh was red/purple, swollen and hot. I think the doctor wanted to give me a psych evaluation for letting it go on so long. I'm on an IV antibiotic regimen for the next few days so hopefully soon I'll start feeling less punky and we can get the real show on the road around here.

T. Bone had a good couple days in his new school. What he talks about most of all is lunch and all the irresistible choices the cafeteria has to offer. The first day he had pizza with a bag of chips, a side of carrots and two milks. Just to set the record straight...he wanted fries, but the kid just before him took the last order, he was told by a lunch aide to choose a veggie and he opted for milk because he was actually listening to me when I told him no soda and not to pay for water since he can fill his bottle for free. And also for the record...he's not a milk fan, but he is a lover of a good deal and they were two for the price of one! I also got out of him the fact that NONE of his friends are in ANY of his classes...oh yeah except for K. who happens to be in every one of his classes. I was a little late picking him up the first day. He was one of a handful of kids hanging outside in front of the school. When I pulled up, he didn't come to the van despite the fact that he looked right at me. I figured he was mad that I made him wait so now he was making me wait. Then he finally climbed in, I apologized and told him there was traffic. He said, "No problem Mom. I made a new friend while I was waiting. He's really nice and cool and he's an 8th grader. I was just saying goodbye to him." He declared himself, "pooped" after his first day since he ran like umpteen yards and did 100 push ups in practice. He was up on time for the second day of school looking like he aged over night. I swear he grew while he slept, and then with his team jersey on in support of the high school football team's game tonight, he looked every bit the middle schooler he is and then some. He's off with some friends to spend the weekend on the river swimming and tubing and being boys. I'd say that's a fine end to a good week.

Miss Bit's first couple days were as good as could be hoped for in her second grade life: chicken nuggets for lunch, monkey bars for recess, lots of giggles with old friends, a few new friends, no homework, a nice, energetic teacher. After a short week, the prospect of a long weekend filled with swimming and a sleepover with her cousin is the cherry on top of the malt she might have for dinner tonight.

There will be time for structure and schedules and less sugar next week. There will be three square ones on the daily menu, time allotted for homework and nightly reading, and new chores assigned. I'm not sure T. Bone or Miss Bit are ready to say...bring it on.

No comments: