Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Fever

Spring fever has officially set in. Sunday was a summer day by even the most selective of standards. It was hot, breezy and bright from sun up to sun down. After church, the littles shed their Sunday best for shorts and flip flops, and then proceeded to spend the better part of the day outside as it should be.

T. Bone attended a football meeting with his father...a recently named assistant coach. He has his eyes wide on the prize: quarterback, and he's being considered for the position along with 2 other boys. He's already gearing up for his fall sport, yet baseball is only just beginning. Miss Bit is excited to start softball too. And do not even get her started on the topic of christening all of her new bathing suits in Grandma and Grandpa's pool.

We were able to relax on the bug-free patio listening to the carefree noise of kids carousing through the neighborhood. We fast forwarded another month to when leaves return and bring with them privacy and peace. Hubby grilled the first brats of the season. So good! We enjoyed fat, fresh green beans as well. We dined a little late just trying to eke out all we could from the glorious day...not wanting it to come to an end. We had to pass on a slice of smore pie, and were only able to watch half of Secretariat before tucking the littles in bed with fans whirring and windows ajar.

The windows are all closed tight again now, and although I'm washing our flannel sheets to put away until next November, I'm not convinced that it's really time yet. I'm reminding myself to take one day at a time...to live in the present. It doesn't come easily for me...I'm so prone to straining to see ahead or craning to look behind. I've come to accept that it's a lesson I'll grapple with my life long. Live. Today. Every. Moment. So while the sun is shining high and spring storms are at bay, I'm going to strap on my shoes and pound the pavement. I'm going to focus on each breath, on every step as I move the only way that makes any sense...forward.

No comments: