Friday, April 15, 2011

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

A stack of new reading material from the library. I started Ingrid Betancourt's novel while Miss Bit attended book club lastnight. I have memoirs by Melanie Gideon and Dominique Browning in waiting as well as Pioneer Woman's cookbook and Jamie's Food Revolution.


I'm still in the midst of Karen Maezen Miller's hand wash cold. It's having quite an impact on me. Especially ideas like this:
I don't mean my life is like a garden, although it is. Seasons advance, each with its own rhythm and purpose. Winter rests, spring awakens, summer rages and autumn warms its lonely bones with windswept memory. So yes, life is like a garden, but that's not what I mean either. I mean life is a garden, and when you do not yet see that your life is a garden you may not see your life clearly at all. You are the garden, you are the gardener, and you reap what you sow. What will you make of the ground that you - only you - can tend? How will you share the place you never leave, the time you always have, and the peace you alone can spread? You make everything true by bringing it to life, so be careful what you bring. Anger kills, bitterness poisons, greed spoils, fear stunts, and inattention withers. Good gardeners cultivate a good earth.

A Sunday drive whilst the littles attended Sunday School. I headed south in search one of my favorite big box stores. I never found it, but I did hap upon a couple adorable, quaint neighborhoods with inviting coffee shops and eateries. It's good to be reminded to be a tourist in my own town.

Bright colored adirondak chairs. If I ever win the lottery, I'd buy one in every cheery color.

I didn't harm the petition wielding woman who rang my doorbell the other night although I'm pretty sure I scared her by adamantly exclaiming NO! over and over before she could even say much more than who she was representing.

Simple, satisfying suppers: whole wheat orzo with spinach and cheese, chicken cordon bleu, my all time favorite, with brown rice pilaf and roasted asparagus.

Dinner out with the littles lastnight because I just didn't feel like cooking - not even leftovers. I cannot remember the last time I had a cheeseburger. I savored every single bite, and was still enjoying it while T. Bone and Miss Bit were onto their ice creams. In fact T. Bone finished before both us girls and promptly said, "I'm done. Can we go now?" Nice.

Spying Little Red sprawled out fast asleep on a log for an afternoon siesta in the sun. For such a little guy...he's got big cajones.

T. Bone and Miss Bit are all signed up for summer camp.

Baseball's back. We're gearing up for the start of the season.



Spring skies...big, billowy clouds against the backdrop of brilliant blue.



Girls of summer...foot loose and fancy free.


No comments: