Thursday, June 10, 2010

S-M-I-L-E You Say...

I'm looking at these obligatory last day of school pictures and realizing that the joy on their faces confirms that they are ready for the dog days to begin. Bring them on! They don't mind the heat and humidity, but that's not what appeals most to these two. No, they are eagerly anticipating the change of pace...longer days and later nights spent having their share of good summer fun.


After the bus pulled away, I fought real hard to keep my composure because suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks: this is T. Bone and Miss Bit's last day at the school on the parkway ever. And I felt a twinge as I realized that this is also their last day riding the bus until high school. My kids love riding the bus, and I've grown to have affection for this loud, yellow monster that pulls up every morning and afternoon like clockwork to transport them to school and back home safely. The fact that I have grown to not only accept, but also appreciate the school bus is no small feat.
When I was their age, I rode the bus to school, and it was something that absolutely scared the bejesus out of me. There were kindergartners through eighth graders on this bus and let me just say that it wasn't just antics that occurred during our 45 to 60 minute ride to and from school everyday, but downright abuse. We had plenty enough kids to fill a large bus, but there were days that we were picked up in a small bus and that was always horrifying. There were also days that the bus driver left us alone on the bus while she went in to pick up her own child from another school in route. I've mostly successfully repressed those memories. Let's just say that when we moved and I switched schools in fifth grade, I didn't mind walking the 8 blocks to school in rain, sleet or snow.
T. Bone and Miss Bit have had the same driver for the 5 years we've lived in this house. She is reliable, responsible and she commands they respect her and each other. The worst transgression they report is that someone is sitting in "their" seat, or that E., the bus clown, stuck a pencil in his ear. (Just so you know, that was enough to secure him a seat in the front of the bus for a week.) So I'm going to miss waving and blowing kisses from the door with a cup of coffee in hand, but it's a small sacrifice.
Today's a day of lasts, but I'm glad that T. Bone and Miss Bit are pleased. With every last, there is a first...bring them on!

No comments: