Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Divide and Conquer





Last night we had to implement man to man defense. Miss Bit had a baseball game at the same time as T. Bone so I went to cheer on the Sharks whilst my hubby went to coach the Sox. She hit the ball each time she was up to bat and ran the bases with an infectious smile on her face. She was a little less focused about her time in the outfield probably because with 20 kids out there, it's more like a party than a position. She spent time chatting up the other team to find out where the players go to school and digging in the dirt and doing handshakes with old friends M. and G. much to M.'s Mom's chagrin who kept shouting at M. to move 5 steps away from Miss Bit and G., the defectors and play ball. Um...yeah really.

We weren't through the first inning...in fact, I don't think the game had even started before a Mom came up to ask me if the rumor that we were moving was true. And before I could answer said inquiry, M.'s Mom did so for me making an already awkward moment all the more uncomfortable. Apparently, everyone knows that T. Bone and Miss Bit are attending school in a neighboring district come September. And while it's no secret, I don't exactly like being the topic of what I gage to be so many clandestine conversations. G.'s family is making a move too so we aren't the only ones jumping the school ship. In fact, the number of boys and girls overboard is multiplying rapidly. I'm a lemming not a leader.

The thing is that everyone has the option to break the problems (poor test scores, lack of pre-secondary preparation, behavior issues) down...to divide them if you will, and then to solve them...to conquer them (open enrollment, private school, home school, accept the status quo- which may be meeting or beating other's expectations). And only my hubby and I know what is best for our unique children. How can any responsible parent argue with that? Yet I feel the sting of judgement as the parents of current classmates, our friends, feel that we are in fact unfairly scrutinizing them. It is as if we are rejecting them by doing what we deem best for our children. I get it, but I don't like that it has to be this way. Does it have to be this way?

It should be lots of fun volunteering at the school over the next couple days. I imagine it is going to be a trial in fielding delicate questions and defending sensitive positions in as PC a manner as possible.

Oh and by the way, the Mom who came to out the rumor then made a big deal about making sure we keep in touch...maintain friendships...blah, blah, blah. I like her daughter. Miss Bit likes her daughter, but in the two years the girlies have known one another they reached out to Miss Bit a big FAT zero times. We've had her over on numerous play dates and invited her countless times more. She'd have been the last person I would have thought to give a rat's you know what about our leaving!

No comments: