Monday, June 14, 2010

Off To A Good Start

Summer vacation that is. The kids came home from all kinds of fun at the in-laws Friday night long enough to sleep before being whisked away to my Dad's for more sweet spoiling. In the 24 or so hours that they spent with Grandma and Grandpa, they were plied with movies and popcorn, mini golf and ice cream, playing at the park, homemade pizza for him, all you can eat chicken nuggets for her, and "Grandpa's Famous Breakfast" for all! It's not surprising that T. Bone and Miss Bit weren't all smiles when we drove down the driveway straight into their wiffle game. They (Grandpa and the kids) tried in earnest to extend the visit by embarking on one last mosquito-infested hike through the woods. For obvious reasons, it didn't last long despite the fact that my nose sensed the kids had literally bathed in Deep Woods Deet.

On the way through the woods and over the river home, Miss Bit began expressing mild anxiety over starting camp the next day, not knowing anyone, feeling scared and shy. She so wanted to fast forward to Thursday when she will know everyone and they will all hoot and holler during a visit to her favorite inflatable-filled gym. T. Bone shared none of his sister's trepidation, but he did start hoping aloud that his "cool" friend whose name we haven't heard mentioned a single time in a year would be in attendance again this summer. The counselor confessed that J. had spent the 2 hours before I dropped T. Bone off hoping to see his "awesome" friend walk through the door. I just love that about boys...they pick up right where they left off without missing a beat.

Miss Bit woke up this morning moaning over a pain in her leg...a "bite." Every remedy I offered just wasn't cutting it. When I had the audacity to inquire whether it was itchy, or throbbing, or aching or pulsing, she sneered at me and sniveled, "It just feels like a bite. Gah!" So as to say now just leave me alone, but do something about this straight away! Eventually she was able to get up out of bed only to limp to the bathroom, suffer through dressing and brave her way through breakfast. The intense discomfort then traveled from her leg to her stomach. It became apparent that the only cure for her curious ailments was going to be facing her mounting fears head on. She ponied up. I was proud. T. Bone and I waved good bye to her as she stood at the end of the line of camp goers going outside to play. She was biting her lip and looking down sullenly, but she wasn't crying. I know when I pick her up in a few hours, she's going to wonder why I'm there so soon. I'm totally on board with the first day jitters by the way.

While the kids were at Camp Grandma and Grandpa, hubby and I went for not one, but two long walks...a four and a six miler. It's something we used to enjoy together regularly, but it's been awhile since we cannot leave the kids at home alone these days. We walked over the river and back through the rolling neighborhood adjacent to our's where the homes are estates and some of them are set back so far from the road that all you can see are the "Do Not Trespass" signs. That works both ways though because it really makes you feel like you are all alone on a tree-lined country road. I even told my hubs that it sort of reminded me of our walks around Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire although this wasn't quite as hilly and we saw deer, turkey and red squirrels not moose.

We scratched the idea to catch a movie Saturday night since we spend many a night comatose in front of our Toshiba and instead headed out for cocktails, dinner and engaging conversation. We tried a new Mexican place that we decided was just mediocre. My quesadilla was disappointing, but my hubby's burrito was pretty good, but the truth is I didn't really care that they used dark meat chicken and canned jalapenos because I was at dinner alone with my man and that was better than any cheesy tortilla could hope to be.

The kids are already asking me what we're doing on the days they don't have camp this week. Makes me wish I'd signed them up for five days a week. On the docket this week are exciting appointments. We have a visit to the orthodontist for T. Bone to finally get his braces. Brace yourself! But as usual, we'll find time for some summer fun too.

No comments: