Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Mom Rant

Last night was Lil's first softball game of the season. It was a bone chilling, wind off the lake six innings. I had on my spring jacket, but I was wrapped in a wool blanket. It was a little surreal to be sitting in the stands with so many fans. I'd call it a reunion. I eventually remembered how to be social. I haven't seen some of these people in almost two years. Once the awkwardness of gathering and cheering through masks faded, the feeling of comradery took hold. Walking back to the car, Mike and I both commented on how good it felt. Our endorphins were elevated and we didn't even exert ourselves.

Lily didn't exert herself much either because she didn't start. Her bat is off. It's one of the struggles of playing golf and softball...swing confusion. She's not happy about it, but her attitude is still positive. That's my girl. There are like 30 games in the next 6 weeks. She's got some work to do, but I've got no doubt she'll earn more play time. Too much work right now with school, ACTs and AP exams too. I worry about her.

She left from the field to go to church for reconciliation. I sure hope that time with Father Tim brought her some peace. When she got home at 8:30 after leaving the house at 7 that morning, I had dinner waiting. It's all I could do. She ate every bite of her pizza stuffed pepper and even a couple bread sticks. 

And it's not all I can do. I've been giving extra hugs and listening and indulging her in a little retail therapy. We went in search of a confirmation dress last weekend. I wasn't too excited because she has a closet filled with worn once or never worn dresses, but I get her desire for something for the occasion. Then to my amazement, the very first dress she tried on was THE dress, which didn't mean we stopped shopping, but it was much less stressful. 

Truthfully, I'm looking forward to summer vacation for my girl so she can decompress and have more fun. She's already said that she wants to spend lots of time at the beach this summer and that sounds like an excellent plan as far as I'm concerned. It's a happy place and we can all use some more of that.


 




No comments: