Thursday, April 1, 2021

Almost 21


I have to share a Teddy funny. He called me the other evening to ask how long to roast carrots. He purchased a "huge" steak at the market and was going to sear it in his cast iron skillet. He was hungry for a nice not chicken meal. He kept raving about the size and the price of this "steak" so I had to know what it was. A bottom roast, he revealed. I felt terrible telling him that it wouldn't be dinner that night unless he wanted to eat at 10 o'clock. Last night Chef Ted seasoned it, seared it and then slow cooked it in red wine and water. He didn't have any onions or broth. Teddy proclaimed his "steak" dinner Gordon Ramsey-esque. I love that this son of mine can and will cook.

He's on his way home for Easter weekend. He convinced his buddy to pick him up. He's practicing the skills he's learned in this semester's negotiations class. Mike will drive him back with clean laundry and groceries. It's the drill. The semester is winding down. In 5 weeks, he'll be a junior. It is up in the air where he will be studying next year. I'm praying he stays in Madison, but I will support him if he feels the call to follow a different path. 

Ted has countless plans and dreams. Schemes too. He knows what he wants and he always works hard to succeed. He's been intensely driven since he was just a little shaver. There's no way I cannot get behind that. So we wait to find out what the business school decides, and are reminded that living in the moment is a must. We learn the power of patience and faith when things are out of our hands. We submit to every teachable moment, and boy are they everywhere.

He'll be home this summer. He has a paid internship that will be remote. It's yet another experience strangely altered by this pandemic. I'm looking forward to a full Casa Wags again. Every time the four of us are together again for an extended period, I think this may be the last. Knowing that #yearsareminutes only prompts me to make the most of the time we have right now.

No comments: