Tuesday, April 13, 2021

weekending

I'm getting accustomed to come what may. Accustomed as in I like the freedom and spontaneity that comes with being light on plans. Don't get me wrong...I like being social and going and doing, but I also enjoy the leisure of this new life. And it may not change for me much all too soon because I am not comfortable with these vaccines that really are not a vaccines, but rather experimental biological gene therapies without any long-term safety results. More on that another time because right now I want to prattle on about happier things.

Things like Friday night happy hour with my brother and sil. They brought noshies and handhelds from the club and Mike made two homemade pizzas and we caught up on their recent travels and current events. It was a good night of cocktails and conversation, and it was long overdue.

Things like lots of time with Lils over the weekend at her request. We had not one, but two movie nights, a nice long walk through the park, and a game of golf. Mike talked us into watching Gran Torino on Saturday. He'd seen it and knew we would approve, and he was right. Clint Eastwood was perfect in this role. His character reminds me of someone I know and love who is the biggest softie on the inside despite exterior appearances. And don't we all know someone like that? Lils picked Parasite for Sunday. I have to say that I enjoyed it as much the second time around subtitles and all.

 It really felt like spring: cool nights and pleasant days. There were people everywhere in the park biking, walking, fishing, playing ball and even two old codgers sitting in lawn chairs with a couple afternoon beers and I thought for a moment about joining their party.

Things like being the first one up on Sunday morning and sitting in the peace and quiet of a still sleeping house with my book. A book I've been slogging through because my attention span for reading right now is non-existent. Then I finally got to that sweet spot where I'm anxious to see how this all ends. In a few pages, I'm on to my next book. It's thrilling to get to choose what's next.

Things like turning a pork shoulder into a rich ragu I want to share with everyone I know, and getting inspiration from my favorites on the Food Network. I made Ree's Stuffed Chicken Alfredo Shells. The recipe was delicious, but unbelievably rich so I had a healthy serving of spinach on the side. I'll make it again, but try and make less of a mess in the process. It's one of those one pan dinners that requires every pan during prep. Mike fired up the grill Sunday night. It made me fast forward to warm nights on the patio. Also to the improvements I plan to make there. This pandemic has left me with such a discerning eye.

Things like taking down the wallpaper in the master bath. It's the last to go at Casa Wags and truthfully it was fine, but fine no longer works. The job was tiring. It was so good to be able to finish it this weekend. Now the real fun begins: picking out colors and accessories. The inexpensive transformation.

Things like sleeping in to carry on with a dream I don't want to end, a second cup of extra creamy coffee, time to weed in the yard and wash the kitchen floor with vinegar and a few drops of lavender oil I can still smell days later. Clean laundry, a deep conditioning hair mask and writing words with a pen on paper.

I know...I know I sound like a broken record, but I want to remember how the ordinary is extraordinary if my mind is in the right place. That is a place of gratitude and humility and presence. It's my daily mission to make the most of whatever comes my way.

No comments: