Thursday, April 8, 2021

Weekending

I'm still recovering from the weekend. And yes, it's Thursday. It was busier than we are currently accustomed to and it was picture perfect spring. The birds are really belting out their vernal songs and everything is greening up. I'm not ready for full on heat and humidity yet, but everyone else seems so happy that I'm just going with it because we've already had some of both. Ted was beyond excited to get out on the golf course Friday and Lils has been practicing on the new turf soft ball fields for the last week. We had our first thunder storm last night. It was brief, but powerful.

We had such a nice time at dinner on the east side Friday night. The restaurant was quiet, but we weren't. We had our own cozy dining room and the waiter's full attention. The chef's too. Ted made friends with both. The food was about average save for dessert, yet we all agreed that didn't matter because we had such a good time: lively conversation and a couple delicious and generous pours. I got talked out of my go to favorite dish in favor of an arborio crusted walleye. I knew better because my favorite walleye is served at River Wildlife. Still I wavered and then caved. At least, Kyle kindly brought me a plump side scallop. I didn't share and we always share. We left happy that we carved out the time to go out for the evening together. It's a Good Friday tradition. Ted taught us a new card game when we got home and we are all hooked. It was a Good Friday indeed.

I slept in Saturday. I didn't mean to and I prefer not to, but sometimes I need to. Ted was off with friends most of the day rock climbing (his new passion), getting Thai food, working out and watching the final 4. The rest of us did our usual Saturday stuff which included some variation of work...house, yard and home, and work outs too. It was a quiet night at Casa Wags in anticipation of Easter Sunday and a long day of church and family.

Sunday was a good long day. I was so looking forward to mass with my 3. It was not as crowded or as festive as usual, but still it filled my heart to be there. I made camel's eyes for brunch when we got home and the kids discovered their baskets, not hidden, but still full of surprises and just a little candy. These days they prefer Starbuck's cards, and pricey tinctures and beauty products. We were due at my parents' at 3 o'clock and for once we were on time. That's a holy miracle. It was such a beautiful day that we were able to sit out on the deck to visit and bird watch. My aunt and uncle joined us and that made the day even better. The kids took Bodi to the back fields on the trails and he was so happy to be hanging out with his kids. He was like a puppy again. Dinner was a feast. We had a honey baked ham and all the fixings, and then my dad played short order cook. He made Lily her own chicken and Ted a massive plate of pancakes and eggs as requested. My dad, he understands that #foodismemories. We stayed later than we should have for a school night, but it was one of those days that's so good, you just don't want it to come to an end. We all ended up in the sun room after dark watching the menagerie of animals come to get dinner. We missed the coyote, but we saw racoon, turkey, possum and several deer. My dad, he is Snow White's cousin.

Monday morning came too soon, the day dragged and then Ted requested championship game calzones for he and his buddies that evening. I wanted to, but could not bring myself to say no. It meant a trip to the grocery and a lot of prep, but it was his last supper before returning to campus for his last month of sophomore year. And his friends are pretty great guys. And one of the things I'm really working on is saying yes when it matters and no when it doesn't. It turns out that's quite a satisfying approach.

Tomorrow is Friday. So glad.



No comments: