Thursday, April 1, 2021

Weekending

Lils is on spring break so this last stretch of days has been busy with goings and doings. Apparently, she is THE only one of her friends that is not on a beach somewhere. I thought she was exaggerating, but then I scouted out her Instagram and it was one picture after another of classmates in bikinis. I will never get these scantily clad selfies and I don't much get spring break especially now when we are still advised not to travel. I'm over the pandemic and I'm sick of being told what to do, but I think we're so close to getting through this that a couple more months of sacrifice seems smart.

We lived on the edge and went out to eat with my in laws Friday night. We haven't seen them for any QT since Christmas, but they're both vaccinated now. We had a great visit and dinner at Harvey Moy's was such a treat from the egg drop soup to the lychees with cherries, and everything in between. My fortune read, You have a charming way with words and should write a book. That's the best message I've received in my cookie ever.

Saturday I was up earlier than I get up for work during the week to volunteer at a local food pantry. Lils needs service hours for National Honor Society, and Mike and I joined her. It was my first time working the pantry. Shamefully, I confess that the rest of my family has taken turns. It was THE most rewarding way to spend a Saturday morning. Even though it was cold and rainy, my heart felt warm. It was crazy busy. I take that as a sign of the times. It was a lesson in humility, gratitude and grace.

Lils and I went to the grocery store early afternoon and it felt gluttonous to look at our cart when we'd just fulfilled smaller orders for larger families. It's so very good to be reminded of our good fortune and ability to increase those of others. It was impossible to get warm all day so we decided to cozy in for a pizza and movie night. Homemade pizza is a Casa Wags favorite. Movie nights too although I couldn't tell you what we watched.

Palm Sunday is one of my favorites every year. Hearing the Passion gets me in the right frame of mind for Holy Week. We took the long way home. Lake Michigan was showy on the broody day. Lils and I bundled up to take a long walk in the park late afternoon. I could have skipped it so I'm lucky she's always a cheerleader because a day with a walk is always a better day. I promised her Spanish Sheet Pan Chicken for dinner and it's great for leftovers all week. I tucked in early with a new book after a kind of perfect weekend.

And here we are...it's almost the weekend again. I will have a short day today so I can do something with my girl and I'm off tomorrow. Ted comes home this afternoon so it will be a full weekend of family and I couldn't be more grateful.

No comments: