Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Weekending and Beginning

I started a new book last night. I wanted to stay in bed on this chilly, gray morning with Sanitorium, but I managed to get up and get in a before work sweat and my breakfast of celery juice. It was a good choice. I'm feeling more upbeat and energized. I'm definitely feeling the need to start going to bed and getting up earlier. I think a shift in my schedule is overdue. It's another one of those things I know is good for me, and yet I resist. Sometimes I find myself utterly frustrating.

Like on Friday. I cut out of work early afternoon with the intention of getting in a long workout to kickoff the weekend. It was a good plan. Instead I pissed away hours I cannot even account for and then I completely lost my initiative when my brother dropped in for a visit.

I made up for it Saturday though. I added intensity and distance to my workout, which I smartly planned while Lily was taking the ACT. It's her elliptical now since she runs 5 miles on it each and every day. I have to plan my time around her. I could learn much from her commitment. She came home mentally exhausted and physically ravenous, and still she worked out. Five hour standardized tests are no joke, and not something I feel fondly for. Luckily, Uncle B Bone dropped off a stash of his Buffalo Chicken Burritos. They are Lily's favorite and they perked her up.

We hosted a game night Saturday because I was missing friends. I kept the menu simple so that we would not have to fuss. I did Buffalo Chicken and Meatball Sliders, a roasted broccoli salad with arugula and a horseradishy dressing that I saw Alex Guarnaschelli make earlier in the day, and waffle fries two ways: sweet and russet potato. So yes, simple, but not ordinary. I've been into trying new recipes lately with good results. I have some keepers to add to my repertoire. Probably not the broccoli salad though. Horseradish is hard. We played a competitive game of Fish Bowl. Girls versus boys. Pete's facial expressions were entertaining. The words were a tribute to the times: Cobra Kai, Shots in Arms, Quarantine and Binge Watch were all in the bowl. Both Jess and Sue came with wine. La Linda wine is gracing my table again for sure. It made me smile. It was a late night. Lils left to hang out with a friend and was surprised we were all still at it when she returned. And for the record, I was beyond overjoyed that she got out to have a little fun.

Sunday was a very lazy day around Casa Wags. Think hangovers both vino and ACT. It was a lounge and watch movies day...nothing particularly worth mentioning, but just the right speed for my speed. I motivated to marinate some chicken and make a gratin for dinner during which we played a family game of cards I dominated.

It was all good, yet at the onset of the week, I'm feeling a little meh. And to bring it all full circle, that's where self-care comes in. I know what I need to do and not do. I do. 

No comments: