Monday, April 27, 2020

Weekending

I was wide awake at 3 o'clock this morning after just a few hours sleep. None of my usual tricks were working to put me back under. I stayed awake for an hour before deciding to get up and do something. I haven't had any trouble sleeping during quarantine. In fact, I think I've made it quite clear that I am very well rested. And perhaps that's the reason I was wide awake in the middle of the night. I found a movie on Netflix and poured a sleep promoting glass of milk. That made me want a sandwich so I toasted some challah and topped it with a little salami. It was either that or one of the scrumptious cookies Lily made for our girl's viewing of Us earlier (or maybe it was later), one of her favorite movies. I saw that Ted helped himself to a couple when he got home from a photography adventure (his words) with friends. I knew Lily would not be happy if they were all eaten when she gets up this afternoon so sandwich it was. For the record, I enjoyed the movie more the second time around and I didn't fall asleep. I get a lot of flack for that. And I'm having a corner of cookie with my coffee right now. Sometimes quarantine is not so bad.



The first sign of light happens at just before 5 o'clock right now. By the time I crawled back in bed at 6, it was definitely almost day. You wouldn't know that in my cave of a room where every day is cloudy and time of day is always difficult to decipher. I wasn't tired, but I fell asleep. My middle of the night adventure led to a much later and lazier start to the day than I was hoping. But there's little worry because the things I was going to do today, can be moved to almost any other day this week.

This weekend felt almost normal because we are starting to ease back into life. I wanted to say normal life, but this is really a new normal. We spent some time with small groups of people: drinks with neighbors for the draft Friday night and dinner with my brother and sil Saturday. Many people I talk to are starting to slowly and carefully expand their circles. I am discreet about this because I am a little stunned by the vehemence freely expressed by both sides of the aisle. Everyone has an opinion right now. Everyone is an expert.There is rampant judgement and blatant bullying. I really question #wereallinthistogether sometimes. But I won't be censored or silenced on my blog. So yes, we spent time with people who are comfortable doing the same. And also for the record, I will not judge you for choosing to opt out of social gatherings right now or ever. It is your choice.



So it was lovely to have drinks and adult conversation on Friday with someone other than my husband whom I adore. Plus Jo gave my sad hands a paraffin wax treatment and she cleaned my ring better than the jeweler. B & A brought dinner from the club on Saturday. It was such a treat to hang up my apron and it was also delicious. Teddy even came home a little early from Door Dashing to be with us. Dessert was a one bowl chocolate cake that was devilishly rich due to the Belgian cocoa and coffee combo and a very long game of Wizard. Ashley even gave me some free decorating advice. I've got a running list. It was a good visit.

Yesterday I started a new book and then made a stop at the paint store and the hardware store. I never thought picking out a new ceiling fan and toilet seat would be so exciting. When I got home, I made a buffalo chicken dip for the week, a tortellini dish for dinner and a nice balsamic vinaigrette for our Italian salad that night. I thought about taking a walk, but I ended up taking a nap. Mike woke me up to play a game of gin while we waited for the kids to get home. He grilled Italians and we gathered for an easy, but tasty Sunday dinner. Not too much to complain about here.

I've gotten a bit of a late start on this day, but I'm ready for the week ahead. I'm starting to see an end to this and for that reason I think it will be a stretch of days for embracing quarantine life. There is much goodness in being home with loved ones. That is the best part of quarantine.


No comments: