Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Lessons and Blessings

Yesterday Teddy and I set off for Madison to move him out of the dorm with our tried and true Ikea bags. We packed him up in record time and only had to make 4 trips from room to van. We were channeling our inner sherpas. We cheered our efficiency and took a quick farewell tour of the campus. Note to self: never high five your exploits. Teddy showed me the house he'll move into, fingers crossed, in August. It is literally in the back yard of the business school. Location, location, location. I couldn't see the inside, but it sounds like a sweet spot for 3 guys and I know how excited he is to live with friends, have his own room and a kitchen.






On the way out of town, we drove by the deserted Memorial Union. I kept my mouth shut, but I wanted to tell him how much fun it was to sit on the terrace in spring, to hear bands and drink beers and to celebrate the end of the semester...the beginning of summer...and to feel like you literally had the world by the ass. He doesn't know what he's missing.



We drove up Langdon and I showed him the Gamma Phi house and my apartment senior year again. 131 Langdon was straight across the street from the A Chi O house making rush week loud and annoying. I deactivated my sorority senior year, but didn't consider that I'd have to continue to travel up and down fraternity row anytime I went anywhere. I pointed out Mike's studio down an alley and on Lake Mendota. Ted indulged me my memories.

We were cruising on the highway heading home when we heard a quick noise, then another loud humming noise and realized we were driving on a rim with a flat. I stayed perfectly calm and collected which was not an easy task. I got us to the shoulder. My first thought was that I should have peed one more time before we left the dorm. Ted asked, "Who do we call? Dad?" I said, "We call Candace AAA." And that's what I did. While I was on hold for what seemed like forever, a sheriff pulled up to check on us and then wish us luck because apparently AAA is not too reliable in Jefferson County. The driver arrived just a little earlier than we were expecting him so that was a plus. He was a little gruff, but we won him over to the point that he signaled us when to get back in the lane and then slowed the cars behind us after fixing the tire. The whole ordeal was comedic. We had to unload the van, there were trucks flying by us, we had a flat spare, it started to rain, and I had to pee. 



We took the long way home since we couldn't maintain highway speeds on our spare tire. It was an adventure and I have to say that once we stopped at a bathroom, I rather enjoyed the time with my first born co-pilot and our bag of Goldfish. In the final stretch, I asked Ted about what his takeaway from the day was. He said, "Get AAA." Yes, and stay humble, stay calm and pee before any road trip no matter how far!



We unloaded the van. He left to Door Dash. I enjoyed a nice pour and went to bed early. I read until I saw he was home safely (thanks Life 360) and then I slept a sound 10 hours. 

I think we'll remember this day for the duration.



No comments: