Saturday, April 4, 2020

Pay it Forward

I was talking in my sleep again last night. I'm a regular sleep talker, but it's a new thing that I blurt out full sentences clear as a bell. It used to be gibberish. Last night Mike woke me up because I was saying that I didn't feel well. I was fine. I was calling in sick to something in my dream. Although I didn't feel great after my delicious fish fry last night. Too much fry I gather. The good thing is it sent me to bed early and I finally finished The Hearts Invisible Furies. I lost count of the weeks I've spent with Cyril and Julian and Alice, but it was time well-spent. This is a good story that made me laugh and made me cry. When I read the last page, I was overcome with an immediate book hangover so I grabbed one from the top of my bedside stack and kept reading. I know already I'm going to get right through Lily King's Writers and Lovers. I could have read until the wee hours, but Mike came to bed and I called it a night.

Ted was the first one up today. He's working on an English paper that's due tonight at midnight. My brother called this morning and said that he's dropping off a quarantine care package for us today. I have a loaf of garlic pheasant bread just about to come out of the oven to tuck into a care package for them to go with the spaghetti and meatballs I know they will enjoy. Two strawberry cream cupcakes for dessert. A puzzle. Boyne's novel for Ashley and a golf magazine for Brad. We are in this together.

There is a lot of kindness in the world right now. I've seen it, felt it. Mike has been looking at a bike for sale on a neighborhood site for some time. He messaged yesterday to say he was interested. He and Teddy have plans to do some biking together and he is in need of new wheels. The seller told him he could have it if he liked it. They filled the tires with air and left it in the driveway. It's like new and a very nice bike. They waved from the window when Mike gave the thumbs up. They even threw in the helmet and lock. Their kindness has me thinking about what nice thing I can do for someone else today. What small thing I can do to spark big joy in someone's day.

I woke up feeling a little porous, punky and prone, but I think shifting the focus from me me me has me feeling lighter. I'm looking forward to some fresh air and a zoom happy hour.

No comments: