Monday, April 6, 2020

weekending

It was a good weekend. Things almost felt normal. Saturday was filled with regular chores and activities and at the end of the day we gathered for a Zoom happy hour with my brother and sil. They stopped by earlier in the day to drop off libations and our favorite donuts from the Oostburg Bakery. They were gone before breakfast Sunday. Video cocktails are only just a little strange. I prefer actually being together, but this is an ingenious solution for social distancing mandates. When we are on the other side of this, I sure hope that one of the lasting effects is not isolation...fear of being together.



We grilled chicken drummies that marinated all day in my favorite soy and citrus concoction. I tried a new mac and cheese recipe from Mark Bittman's Dinner For Everyone. I used cut spaghetti so it was nostalgic. It looked like Kraft, but it tasted much better. The noodles are boiled in whole milk. Talk about creamy, and then you top it with toasted Panko, which adds the perfect amount of crunch. This is a make again, and Mike's new fave.

After dinner, Lily and I resumed our rock painting project. Her rocks are too pretty to part with, but of course we will. She did a tree series that is my favorite. We convinced Mike to get in on the project. He painted a pig. Ted joined us at the craft table with his computer. He was working on a paper in between ping pong games and pull up sessions. He wasn't into painting. I think he'll enjoy scattering the rocks when we're ready. Lily painted until bed. Mike and I played some Gin.




Yesterday was a typical Sunday and yet it wasn't. There was no Palm Sunday service to attend. I was reading my book when I should have been listening to the Passion. I made Blueberry Pie Bars and Mike ran to the store to get the cornstarch I needed. I have a fully stocked kitchen, but no cornstarch...$116 later. I can not believe how much money we're spending on groceries. Dessert was my contribution for dinner later with the Weslows. Yes, we broke quarantine and I have zero regrets. We spent the afternoon soaking up the sun on their patio and catching up from 6 feet away. It was lovely.


I read myself to sleep and slept like a baby through the night. It's another beautiful day today. I've got a full list of things to do and have a full heart too. 

No comments: