Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Week 5, I Think

I'm giving up the guilt over my new 10 o' clock wake up time. It's useless. Pointless. I cannot seem to get to bed any earlier so why would it be easy to wake up at a decent hour? I have nowhere to go, nothing pressing to do. I've decided to let go of the regret and just sleep. Sleep is good for keeping the virus at bay, so I've heard. And this morning I was having such a wild and entertaining dream that when I woke up I was rather in awe of my imagination.

Although yesterday I had to get up to go into the office and I was just a little giddy over the normalcy of getting out of bed and getting dressed right away. I hauled all my folders and binders into the office ready to get shit done. First thing I brewed a cup of coffee and turned on the radio. I ended up putting in a solid 4 hours of work and it felt good to be so productive and useful. Alan called a couple times and I could tell that he was a little jealous that I was there, alone, taking care of business. When I came home, I read 5 pages before falling asleep. I napped through the news and it felt like a better choice.

Today I've been busy working on a project with Linda for a big media company in NYC. There's a hint of light at the end of this Corona tunnel. People are starting to think about getting back to work and life even in NY, which has certainly born the brunt of this contagion. We're talking more about life after here in our neck of the woods where we're mostly healthy, and it will likely be sooner rather than later.

My dad stopped by a little earlier to deliver a batch of his Beef Barley Soup, which is my favorite in his big pot rotation. He needed to get out of the house. He needed to see people. I get it. We didn't hug or kiss even on the cheek. I was able to send him home with some scones and a big bottle of hand sanitizer my aunt left for him when she was here for dinner on Sunday.

Yes, my aunt and uncle came with dinner and a birthday cake: our favorite lasagna and garlic bread from Mama Mia's and the world's best cheesecake from Simma's. We celebrated my uncle's birthday and all agreed that it was such a nice visit. We don't usually make a deal out of Larry's birthday. He's not especially fond of them, but I dare say that he enjoyed our time together Sunday. It felt special. It was special. Perhaps, that is one of the takeaways from this pandemic: valuing what's at the heart of the matter important.





Earlier in the day, Lily and I set out on the beautiful sunny day with some quarantine care packages. The gesture of spreading a little warmth and comfort is as much about me as it about the recipients. Taking care lightens my load. Lily started driving and I navigated. We switched roles midway. She's a much better driver than I am navigator. Enough said. Everyone seemed to enjoy the chicken pot pies and the almond joy scones. Those were Saturday's project while I ugly cried my way through Terms of Endearment. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. It's the penultimate tearjerker.





Saturday we made homemade pizzas. They were ready just as Ted got home for the night from driving all over town. He is a now a very enthusiastic Door Dash driver. We stocked him up with hand sanitizer, pepper spray and a very loud hand held alarm. While I don't love him going into some of the questionable neighborhoods he's been in, I must admit that this is the perfect job for him. They have challenges most shifts, they have bonuses during peak times, he listens to his music while he drives and he works when he wants to. Not to mention the instant gratification of seeing how much money he's earning every time he checks his phone. He's about to head out for the dinner shift.





Lily is off to hang out with some neighborhood friends. The girls lounge 6 feet apart on their own blankets in the yard and talk. I've seen they get a little closer when they Tik Tok, but'm not too worried. Mike and I will motivate shortly for a walk on this chilly spring afternoon. We'll come home, play a game of gin, maybe have a cocktail, make some dinner, watch another episode of Ozark. I'll probably stay up too late finishing the last 60 pages of my book. I am loving Writers and Lovers. It will be a normal Tuesday night here at Casa Wags and for that I am grateful.




No comments: