Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Weekending

 

So my brother celebrated his 50th birthday Friday and we were honored to be included in the celebration amongst his closest friends. My sister-in-law planned a lovely 5 course dinner at Bacchus where we had the atrium too ourselves. We went around the table and shared memories of the birthday boy and I could tell that he was soaking it all up and in as he should. After a round of after dinner drinks, we walked up the street to the U Club to continue the party. When the bar closed at the club, we ended up 8 piled into a Uber and headed for a gentleman's club. I blame the multiple glasses of wine (one per course), the martinis and the mules. We stayed long enough for a an awkward lap dance and a silly picture before calling it. We finished the night singing and dancing like fools back home.

I think the night was mostly perfect. My brother had big ideas back when to have a blowout weekend in Vegas that I was not very much a fan of. Instead he opted for various small gatherings of celebration. That's the way I roll.

Mike threw me a surprise party for my 30th birthday and it was a success. I feel that everyone should have that experience at least once. That moment of entering a room and that mounting feeling of wait I know all these people. There is something to be said about everyone you love all together in one room just for you, but it's also overwhelming. It's the best kind of intersection of everything good.

But small, intimate gatherings have their own special magic. I really felt it on Friday. Mike and I are the old folks in the group, but my brother's friends don't make us feel that way. I'm glad he's got such a good group.

Saturday I woke up at a time I shall not reveal and I immediately knew I would do nothing all day except catch up on Oscar nominees. Mike was copacetic with my plan and even made popcorn. First up was King Richard. It was a little slow at times, but the story had me in tears at the end. The next day I found myself Googling Richard only to find out he left a whole family high and dry before bringing Venus and Serena into the world. His laser focus on these two was uncomfortable, questionable and as much if not more about his own success as their careers. 

Next we cued up Nightmare Alley not really sure what to expect. I liked the dark tale a little more than Mike did. I did not see the ending coming one bit. Licorice Pizza was at times sweet, others absurd and often funny. Truth is, I didn't want it to end. I just loved Gary. We ended the night with Belfast. It put me to sleep. Full disclosure..it was getting late, but it was also just eking by ever so slowly. 

We paid for our Saturday sloth Sunday by tending to all that needed to be taken care of and then found ourselves back in the world of movies watching the Oscars. I get really into the awards when I've seen many of the nominees and Mike obliges me. It was a pretty boring show until Will Smith assaulted Chris Rock. After the fact, we all have feelings about and opinions on the attack. I for one, have lost even more respect for the Hollywood elite who hypocritically preach about what we should and should not do all while living by another set of rules and completely different terms. Amen! 

I have big little plans this week for self care. After two long weekends of bacchanal, I intend to get back to basics...things like veggies and water and exercise and sleep and books. Wish me luck.


No comments: