Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Keep On Keeping On

Yesterday it felt like spring. It sounded like spring too. You know the kind of day when you can actually hear the ice and snow melting? After work, Mike and I went for a walk and I felt ready for what is to come. Change is not always easy for me. Even when change means longer, warmer days. I get entrenched in what is and easily overwhelmed by what will be. I dig in my heels and resist. It's something I know, but cannot explain. I suspect it has something to do with the passage of time and how clearly the change in seasons defines life's elusivity. There is progress though because I cannot ever remember being ready for spring (my least loved time of year) in February.

I was busy in the kitchen last weekend making some meals for Jess to ease her recovery. It's the best way I know to take care. I am my Grandma Rose's granddaughter. I made a pot of Pasta Fagioli that was chock full of veggies and beans and Ditalini. It's a hug in a bowl. It was our dinner last night too and Lily commented that what she loves about it is that it's perfectly satisfying and filling. I also made another loaf of peasant bread, which Jess told me last night she likes as much as my chocolate mousse. That is fine praise. I told her mousse will be in the next delivery. This week I made Smitten Kitchen's Apple Crumb Cake. Actually, I made two. One for her and one for Casa Wags. I sent three slices home with my brother in law Sunday morning and by Monday morning all that was left was a small corner for me. My two were huge fans. A chicken pot pie with homemade crust will feed Jess all week. Us too.

Presently, I believe we all need a little extra comfort. What a dire mess the world is in. It's sad and scary in equal measure. After as much coverage as I could stomach last night, I settled in to read with Hazel by my side, and in my face and on my book purring like a fine tuned Mercedes. It's a little bit of a task dividing my attention between my sweet girl and The Lincoln Highway, but eventually we are simpatico. I didn't read a single page over the weekend so I went back and reread the last chapter to get back in touch with the characters. It didn't take long. Towles has written one compelling protagonist after another. They are memorable. Last night Sally explained why she makes preserves and boy that resonated with me. She proffered that it's in the things we don't have to do that there is kindness. Sure there's an aisle of jams in every flavor at the store, but there is extra care in the acts of picking, washing, prepping the berries for something homemade we intend to share. I couldn't agree more, although I don't make jam. 

Lils came in for a before bed chat. She was glowing. She spent extra time on her nighttime routine and even whitened her teeth because today is the first time in two years she's been able to attend school maskless. Don't kid yourself that constantly being masked hasn't affected these kids. For the record, I am in favor of doing what is proven to work, but let's be clear: we stopped following the science a long time ago. In fact, this change while long over due, comes despite no change in Covid death totals from this time last year. Masks have always been political.

I think another walk is in my evening plans. I'll watch the State of the Union only because I always do and I'm hoping for some clear and coherent missives from The Commander and Chief. I'm hoping, but not holding my breath. I'm glad it's Fat Tuesday. I have a feeling that a fat glass of wine is the only way I'll be able to sit through the address.

Lent snuck up on me this year. In admitting that, I'm heeding that I haven't been a regular at church lately. I cannot say why because attending mass is always a good thing for me. Tomorrow will be a good day to go back and then to keep going.

 



No comments: