Tuesday, March 8, 2022

weekending

I had a lovely weekend, but yesterday I felt the weight of the world again. If you pay any attention to what is going on in the world, I am certain you understand. I have a lot to say about the state of our union, but not here...not now. I was distracted from world events over the weekend and while ignorance is not bliss, sometimes it's survival.

Friday we met Pete and Sue for fish at a supper club just north of us. I knew they would appreciate the vibe and the food. Both were on point. The company too. It was packed with friendly patrons and I was craving that easy feeling of fellowship as much as fried fish. We closed out our tab and then opened another because we wanted the night to last just a little longer.

Lily and I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon shopping. Prom dress shopping. I sort of hate shopping, but I loved that my daughter wanted not only my credit card, but also my opinion. She could have easily gone with friends. I'm also glad we didn't put it off another week because the inventory was pretty picked over. There wasn't a single contender at either our first or second stop. She's lucky too because she looks good in everything, but she also knows what she wants. We both agreed she needed to find a dress in a vibrant color. Nordstrom had one dress in a beautiful emerald green that excited Lily and once she had it on, I was sold. Of course, it didn't have a price tag and when Cynthia rang it up, we all audibly gasped, but then she worked a little magic because she loved Lily in the dress as much as we did. It was the dress.

Lily tried to protest because I have raised a mostly practical, humble young lady. I appreciated her contention. It's what avows her appreciation for the gift. And I know once you have seen THE dress, it is worth a great deal not to settle. I indulged her suggestion to keep looking, but I knew it was in vain. She tried on a few more numbers and they all looked good, but they also looked cheap. They looked cheap because they were cheap. I didn't have to tell her we get what we pay for. She was beyond thankful so it's worth it. She's worth it.

Sunday was our GDO in celebration of Judy and Ashley who are the February birthday girls. We slid in our seats just before curtain call for a matinee of Pretty Woman. It started slow, but definitely gained momentum. By intermission, we agreed that we were enjoying it fully. The highlight of the first act had to be On a Night Like Tonight.  It was entertaining and endearing. Now I want to see the movie again. After the show, we stopped for a drink at the sheek Saint Kate before making our way to the 5th Ward for dinner at the Madrid Hotel's Movida. Everything about the dinner was delightful. We started with a bottle of Tempranillo, a round of tapas and then another round before our paella was served. Churros y chocolate was for dessert. We all took home leftovers. Mike very much enjoyed the remains. I will definitely go back and all I will need is that wine, an order of patatas bravas and a delicious paella.

I was bone tired by Sunday night, but unable to sleep. I'm thinking that delicious cuppa I had was not decaf. Yesterday was a bit of a struggle, but I had an excellent night's sleep last night and the sun is shining and I think it's going to be a good week before another full weekend.



 

No comments: