Friday, March 13, 2015

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

T. Bone went on his ski trip solo Saturday.  He ended up meeting up with someone he knew from a couple years ago on his football team and they had a blast.  I don't think I would have EVER done that.  He did, and it worked out.

Coach and Lily went tubing with the cousins.  They too had such a blast.

Turns out it was our last weekend of winter (at least for the time being) so we're switching gears to baseball and softball.

Spring cleaning and burgers on the grill too.

Birdsong and warmish breezes.

A walk sans jacket mid week that ended in a full on sweat.

Putting my Mom's fish on a chain and wearing it all weekend long.  She had two.  One green and the other blue and she wore them often.  Now I will.

A new lamp for my dining room.  I've never much liked the lighting in that room because I prefer ambient to overhead light.  This little light was exactly what I needed.

A really lazy Sunday, and zero shame for being a slug.

T. Bone enjoyed D.C. with his friends.  He came home tonight with kaleidoscope eyes. I'm grateful for all of the experiences he had, and eager to hear about them after he is rested, watered and fed.

Miss Bit and I headed to the theater after school to see Cinderella.  We both gave it a solid 9.  I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, and I'm grateful to know that we are never too old for a good fairy tale.

 Dr. Paul Kalanithi, a compassionate doctor and a wise patient. He died this week from metastatic lung cancer, but not before opening so many minds and hearts. Also This piece, which was beautifully written just before his death. He was dying. It would have been so easy to check out, but he didn't.  On his death bed, he worked with colleagues to develop a more sensitive palliative care protocol.  As a doctor turned patient, he had much to offer.  I'm grateful for that because in my experience, there is much room for growth in dealing with terminal patients and their families. The medical profession, the world has lost a rare gem.

This novel.  Thank you Anthony Doerr for your beautiful words that come together to tell such a compelling story.