Friday, July 18, 2014

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The mid summer state of mind has set in.  It's a place of cans instead of shoulds, why nots and if you wants. No two days are the same, but every day is good and full in it's own way.

So full that I still haven't found that sweet slice of time I crave to come here and write actual paragraphs instead of lists and pictures.  That's OK too for the time being I tell myself.  I'm grateful that I feel the words slowly taking shape for a piece dear to my own heart that I have been neglecting.

Miss Bit played us proud at first base during her all star game Sunday night.  After their victory, she was scouted by a coach from another team for next year.  He is putting together a select team and he wants her to be on it.  She was beaming just a little.  His confidence boosted her confidence.

She's enjoying Survivor Camp this week at her favorite nature preserve.  She is excited every morning for another adventure.

He's going to Camp Grandpa again this weekend for another round of golf, more chicken wings and another 24 marathon.  They've been buddies since T. Bone was just a tike, and I know my Dad wonders how long these weekend retreats will continue now that he is a teenager.  I think he's worrying about nothing.

Summer fruit galette, and the most flavorful nectarines to take the simple, rustic dessert to the next level.

Pedicures with my girl this week.  Now that she's a tom boy she doesn't do fancy foot treatments, but her toes needed some attention and so she agreed.  I know I should be grateful that she doesn't expect such spoiling because so many young ladies do.  I didn't have a pedicure until I was in my 20s.  For the both of us, it is still a once in awhile treat.

Gelato and Dilly bars before dinner. Hey!  It's summer.

I finished We Are Water this week.  I really like the way Wally Lamb develops characters.  I cared about them, especially Orion Oh... maybe because Lamb read his part.  But beware...Lamb's subject matter is never light and sometimes it is a bit cliche. I don't think I would have liked this book as much if I had read it rather than listened to it.  Entertainment value matters most when I am pounding the pavement with a novel so I am more likely to overlook platitudes and over simplification.

This quote from the book: We are like water, aren't we?  We can be fluid, flexible when we have to be.  But strong and destructive too.

Evasive moons, supermoons, clouds and showy skies.  It's better than fireworks.

A game of Boggle with the kids before dinner.  They don't even see it as vocabulary practice.

Friends...old and new.  Sometimes people leave our lives, but then they come back like the friend T. Bone spent the day with yesterday.  Other times we may not reconnect and then we make peace with that, or we try to.  Miss Bit ran into a new friend at the pool this week and that turned into an all afternoon and evening play date.  We had dinner last weekend with a group of friends old and new.  It was easy the way the best friendships tend to be.

Miss Bit will turn 10! in a couple weeks.  I kept suggesting we throw a party to celebrate because double digits is a big deal, and she kept telling me she'd think about it.  Not surprising since she is not one to need to be the center of attention, but I talked her into a quaint affair with 5 or 6 good friends.  Now I'm in beach party mode and swimming in ideas.

Dinner out tonight at our favorite eastside wing and sandwich place.  It was a beautiful night and the food was delicious.

Evidence.