Friday, March 7, 2014

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

An after school date with my girl.  We went thrifting for her orphan costume and stopped for an ice cream cone after shopping despite the fact that it was in the teens and right before dinner.

Today she's a pioneer for the culmination of a school project.  She was no Laura Ingalls Wilder because I'm no sewer, but she looked cute. (That's her lunch in the basket.)


The look on the kids' faces when I suggested we order pizza for dinner on Fat Tuesday.  I was breaking rules as Friday is always pizza night and we almost never eat out or order in during the week.  I've been sick again...still, and at the end of the day I have no energy left for cooking.

Coach went in late and left early on Tuesday to do drop off and pick up because I was too weak and dizzy to drive especially my precious cargo.

Tea and Tylenol and Sleep and cats who are always willing to cuddle.


This morning it really smelled like spring when I fed the birds who are getting louder now...another sure sign of spring.  I am a four season girl and a winter lover, but I'm hopeful for a graceful transition to spring because even this self proclaimed winter paramour is ready.

I had a dream about an old friend in the early morning hours today.  I don't see her any more.  I don't talk to her either.  There are plenty of reasons for this, but I don't think about them very often.  This morning we had a come to Jesus while I slept, and oddly it prompted me to reach out to another old friend I no longer see or speak to.  Just writing the card was a big relief for me.  It made me realize that I only thought I had let go of all of the anger and hurt between us, but I was still carrying it around.  Putting the pen to paper and knowing instantly what to say without a pause or an edit proved that I am now finally free.

Self reflection.  It seems to be the theme of this my 44th year.  Getting to really know yourself is something that I believe middle age affords us with the wealth of experience and wisdom amassed.  It's heady and at times heart wrenching because it's so much easier to blame others than it is to accept my part.  To be a victim rather than a player.  But I'm at a point where I realize there is truth in so many platitudes.  Prosaisms like The only person you can change is yourself, If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you, and a negative mind will never give you a positive life have real meaning to them.  There is meat there and I'm chewing on it.  On them.

Cubanos on the pannini!  chewing on that too.

Since last Friday, Coach and I went on a date and we set an appointment to meet with a financial adviser. Kitchen still TBD, but that is progress.

Coincidence and wondering if there even is such a thing.  Driving to work this morning I passed by my friend's brother on the road.  Just yesterday I thought I saw him at my daughter's school and then I remembered that his family switched schools over a year ago.  I probably haven't seen him in 2 years.  That in itself would be a coincidence, but stay with me here. The first thing I checked on my computer this morning was Facebook a site I no longer frequent.  There was a message from my friend, his sister, telling me she will be coming to town next weekend.  I haven't seen her since right after she lost her Mom about 2 years ago. That's a whole lot of coincidence in my book.  It reminds me of the Secret...the whole premise that what you put out there (energy, intentions, desires), comes to you.

My Dad made his first on line purchase yesterday and he only had to call me 3 times to complete the transaction.  

              Dinner date with Coach and Lil tonight.  She tried and loved the fried eggplant.


      Lots of cold pizza for breakfast.

                         
 Soup party tonight at my dad and step mom's.