Saturday, April 28, 2012

Yes...I Can Do Candor

We woke up this morning to rain as forecast.  At least it's not sleet or snow.  There will be no baseball today.  T. Bone is disappointed.  I am too.  I was really looking forward to finally seeing the Mets in action, but alas will have to wait until Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  Fingers crossed.  The yard work and today's walk on the day's docket seem unlikely as well.  I need both desperately.  Well, I need the walk and the yard needs the clean up.  I don't like curve balls.  Not even Mother Nature's.  Yet I am becoming better at fielding them.  After 40+ years...it's about time.  Last night was the perfect example of the sublime of spur of the moment.

I came home and changed to go for a walk only to come downstairs and find my yard filled with kids.  And before I knew it, our living room was filled with friends too.  Then it was 9:00 and the house was empty.  I was cleaning up pizza crumbs and sticky spills and thinking how this last minute get together was probably more fun than if we had planned it.  When you ad lib the gathering, there are no expectations and little fanfare.  It's relaxed, casual and come what may.  That's the kind of spontaneity I like.

And speaking of spontaneity...I am regretting that I didn't take Jess up on her offer to join her in San Francisco this weekend.  I was way rueful and a tad envious when she called me while I was at work yesterday to share her weekend's itinerary.  I'm happy she's having a good time, and also wishing I were there especially now since most of my weekend plans have been cancelled or changed.  It's a lesson.  A call.  A reminder to ad lib more often, to go for it on a whim, to improvise on occasion. 

No comments: