Thursday, April 5, 2012

Weekend In Washington

I've been back from my weekend jaunt since Tuesday night, but truth be told I have been too tired to pop in here until now. By modest accounts, Jess and I walked at least a marathon around and through the city to see only a fraction of the sights despite the fact that we sacrificed sleep (averaging a mere 5 hours per night) to eke out as many moments as super-humanly possible. Of course, there were obligations like parties and dinners to attend...who says it isn't hard work being wined and dined...and we did allow ourselves leisurely, delicious, lady's lunches on all, but our last day. Tuesday we ended up at the wharf on a whim where we competed with locals to first get, and then seagulls to peacefully enjoy the catch of the day in the 10 minutes we had before we had to be on a bus in route to the airport. It wasn't delicious or leisurely, but it will be memorable in other ways.

I hope I speak for both of us when I say that I think we are really very compatible traveling partners (and lifelong friends...no pun intended). I had a strong inkling that this would be true, but after only whisking away for a single night in the windy city years ago, I guess I needed more proof. This trip was case and point. Sign sealed and delivered. My frister even convinced me to eat (and enjoy) raw oysters, and she got me on the dance floor for so long I worked up a sweat and had to shed my shoes. And I...I made sure she didn't have to go through the gauntlet on awards night by making us late to the ceremony. What? I realized I was wearing the wrong bracelet in route to the elevator. That was a gift! You're welcome.

The picture above is the only photo of the two of us I have from the trip. I took numerous pictures, but not of us. Not particularly good ones either, which is why I'm still editing (and more depressed than ever that Picnic is shutting down in less than two weeks). Jess noticed my blurry images, and tried to give me the fancy camera she chose as her gift for working so hard this past year. She worked her butt off to earn this prestigious trip/award, and despite the fact she had her eye on a beautiful bag and jewelry that comes in every woman's favorite blue box, she picked out and tried to give a camera to me. That's the kind of friend she is: kind, thoughtful, generous and true. And crazy! And now she's going to be an amazing photographer WHEN she learns how to use HER new camera!

She's going to need it too because we decided we are going to chronicle our way eating, drinking and sight seeing through other fabulous cities. I'll document our adventures in words and she can immortalize them in images.

The only question is where to next? Oh, and who's paying?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girls,
So glad you had a fabulous time, you deserved every minute of it!