Saturday, February 11, 2012

6:01 a.m., Saturday, February 11, 2012



I'm here front and center before the sun is up this morning because I had 6 a.m. drop-off duty for T. Bone's day trip with ski club. Regrettably, the only picture I got was of the dash telling the time we embarked on the empty road. I knew it would not be "cool" to take pictures of these macho, tricked out skiers and snowboarders, but I had it in my sleepy mind to try and sneak just a one. Better yet, I managed to sneak a hug, a sniff and a quick run of the hands through my son's flowing mane. What! It was dark out. But then he disappeared into the bowels of the bus. First I resisted the urge to follow him and then to sit and wait for the bus to leave the parking lot as if witnessing them depart would somehow offer more protection for the long day ahead on the peaks without parents. For the record, I said my prayers last night and again before I pulled out this morning.


I lingered just long enough to learn that our friend is driving the three hours in his own truck to keep an eye on his son, a fellow fifth grader. He vowed to watch out for T. as well, and no doubt the two boys will be together much of the day. Once I learned that information, I was able to stop doubting our decision to let our eleven year old sign up for this trip. He's one of only three fifth graders going today.


This whole experience has been sort of a milestone for me as a mother. I believe it's had the same effect on my husband. The landmark here is in letting our son venture further and further into unknown territory on his own. It's easing up on the reigns, giving him some slack and trusting that we've raised him well. That we've prepared him to consider consequences and make responsible decisions. If I didn't feel confident of that, that boy would still be in bed.


Bed where I thought I'd be upon my return. I didn't even have a cup of coffee before we left, but T. Bone's adrenaline proved stronger than any dose of caffeine. He was up before his alarm and at the ready early. He sat shotgun, turned the radio up to the point I was sure our base was going to get us pulled over for disturbing the peace and he belted it out. I joined in and we sang along with the Peas: "I gotta feeling...TODAY"S gonna be a good day." Oh yea, we're clever like that even before the crack of dawn.


I'm glad his Dad is picking him up at 11 p.m. tonight.

No comments: