Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year




Miss Bit and I took the long way home after dropping T. Bone at school this morning. It was a peaceful and pretty route. We were just cruising along the river road singing away until we spotted some big old Tom turkeys strutting on a lawn. She said with a sigh of relief, "I'm sure glad they didn't get eaten for Thanksgiving." The chorus coming through the radio rang, "It's the hap-happiest season of all," yet Miss Bit looked so suddenly sad. Then she said rather than asked, "But we only eat the old ones that are about to die right." Sure, right.

I was out to do a little shopping later in the day and I couldn't believe how crabby everyone was...shoppers and workers alike. One clerk stuffed my large purchase in a very small bag. I couldn't grab the handles on either side kind of very small. You know it? It didn't take long to bust out the bottom leaving me in a precarious position. At least 9 people passed me in aisle 9 before a nice man offerred to help me contain the contents. Guess what was going through my mind? You got it..."And hearts will be glowing." Tempers too. As I was leaving the store, the bell ringer with the red bucket uttered an expletive at me for not depositing any spare change with my free hands and all. "With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings." I'll keep to myself what I wanted to tell him.

Then I stopped at 4 different markets trying in earnest to find candied cherries for a cookie recipe. You would have thought I was asking for an obscure treasure based on the looks I received. And don't ask for any tissue paper with your gift. That's even more rare than sugared fruit. You're lucky to get a roomy enough box. "It's the most wonderful time of the year."

"There'll be parties for hosting...marshmallows for toasting and caroling out in the snow." What snow? It's been hovering around 50 degrees all week long. It's been so warm that ski club is cancelled Friday and this morning Miss Bit and I spotted a duck swimming around the pond that was...is to be the ice skating rink. I saw someone running along the lakefront in shorts and a tank this morning.

Weather aside I know it's Christmas time because the cards have started to arrive in the mail. What is the point of a picture card with thumbprint sized pictures that are impossible to make out? Do these well wishers want to be sure that recipients know of all the year's travels and milestones? I look forward to nice family picture so to you offenders I say remember less is more. "When friends come to call."

No comments: