Thursday, December 8, 2011

Busy

I made a pact with myself.

I said self, refrain from using the word busy.
When people ask you how you are, DO NOT say the B word no matter how applicable it feels.
don't let it cross your lips.
It sounds so obnoxious.
Obnoxious in a my mama can beat up your mama or my house is bigger than your house way.
Let's be real here...everyone is busy.
And let's be honest, each one of us is as busy as we choose to be careers and family dynamics aside.
So if we accept 24 party invitations, decide to bake 8 dozen of 15 different kinds of cookies, buy tickets to the Nutcracker, The Christmas Carol, and Breakfast with Santa, put up and decorate 2, 3, 6 trees, and shop every single sale all on top of the demands of daily life (and I'm not going there today because that's another whole rant for sure), then I'm sorry but I have only one thing to say. We asked for it! Please tell me what did you expect? Is this not what you wanted?

If you think I'm being unfairly harsh, do me a favor. Keep track of how many people say busy and then go on and on to detail their laundry list of activities and commitments when you ask them how they are. They carry on like it's them against the world and oh but my aren't they important and in demand and somehow better than you, and in my head I'm saying, 'I'm so sorry for you.'

And PLEASE, but really busy is WHAT they are not HOW. Proper responses to the question how are you include happy or sad, hot or cold, annoyed or amused.

And when I ask someone how they are and they say the B word, I am not very amused at all.

No comments: