Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sundown On The Shore


Tonight after swim class, I suggested to Miss Bit that we stop home, quick dry her hair, bundle up a bit and take a walk on the beach in the light of the half moon. She immediately smiled bright and excitedly agreed. As we meandered on down the bluff hand in hand, she was absolutely beside herself that we were the only two people with such a crazy good idea. She was smitten with the thought that we skipped supper in favor of a stroll through the sand. The changing twilight kept our eyes turned skyward. We were awed by the dance performed gracefully by dark and light. There was a line of cottony clouds the color of dirty snow that converged with the clear indigo expanse. The sight was almost startling, and then my girl saw the faintest rainbow where the two met and she squeeled with delight. I saw it too and smiled.

Miss Bit ran right to the water's edge. She waded in wearing her new Bogs beyond giddy that her feet were still dry. I trailed her, closed my eyes and listened to the rhythm of the waves break on the shore. I never tire of that cadence. The November wind made me feel awakened, alive and a little redolent. I used to walk the few blocks from my home to sit at the water's edge on nights just like this often alone, but not always. In fact, nights like tonight were among my favorite: raw, piercing, penetrating.

We trudged up the path and along the way we spotted stars as they started shimmering in the sky. The last of day turned to the first of night and we were there to witness the beautiful transformation. It was really a gift to be present.

We have a date to return to the same spot at the same time for the next full moon.

No comments: