Thursday, October 21, 2010

Operation Free Fuzzy Wuzzy

The kids had the sunny afternoon off and since I figured Fuzzy had about all the playing, petting and cuddling a caterpillar can handle, I suggested we take a trip to the Audubon to set him free. Miss Bit's eyes immediately welled up and over at the mere suggestion and she worried aloud, "Won't Fuzzy Wuzzy miss me? I'm just gonna miss him so much? But I don't want him to get hit by a car!"

After much conversation, coddling and a little coercion, Miss Bit came to the conclusion that Fuzzy was best off in the forest with other caterpillars and far away from the freeway, but she kept reminding us that she sure didn't have to like it. We found the perfect spot for him, she kissed him adieu and then she burst into big, fat tears. From what I could decipher she moaned something like, "Oh! My heart hurts so so so bad. Even though I only had...what's his name? Fuzzy what? Oh, yea Fuzzy Wuzzy for like 1 day, I miss him so so so much!" T. Bone and I shared sly side ways glances...like really? Yea, really. Don't worry...drama lessons start in January. This girl is destined for the stage. I was just relieved that she wasn't wishing death on herself the way she was a couple weeks ago when she had a case of the throw ups. My girl: big, bursting heart...weak tolerance for pain both physical and emotional. (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Well, Fuzzy was rather eager to inch along to find his friends and family and get far far away from my girl's grips. That caused her even more turmoil to the tune of, "I know he's better off in the forest with his friends, but I'll never see him again and I just wanted to keep him forever!" I suggested we circle the pond and stop back to check on him. She shot that down lickedy split, "Oh no, I don't want to say 'goodbye' again cuz' that'll hurt even more!"

OK then...we headed off to get far away from Mystery Pond and the memory of Fuzzy. We explored the trails and enjoyed the beautiful day. Miss Bit was dragging her sad feet a little so she was the caboose. Every once in awhile she'd let out a wail behind us, we'd comfort her and then trek on.

They tackled "THE BIG BLUFF." He was an incredibly sweet and patient big brother helping her down the whole way and offering words of encouragement, promising protection. "Don't worry Lil Bit, T. Bone will catch you if you fall." And he did. I love when he refers to himself in the third person...it's so parental.

I bunkered down on a bed of leaves while I listened to their teamwork and gazed at the dreamy sky.

They were both peacock proud when they finally made it to the bottom. I heard her shout, "I did it! T. Bone says I'm a demigod!" Then he chimed in, "And I'm THE God of climbing cuz' I helped a 6 year old get up and down a 90 degree hill!" Fuzzy was mostly forgotten by the exciting attainment of this feat.




I suggested we round the Grassland Loop because I tend to see deer on this path most frequently. Not 20 steps in and we literally crossed paths with a couple does. It is such a blessing when my kids see that I am, indeed, omniscient. The group of turkey and lone snake we encountered were bonuses as was the fact that most everyone was posing for pictures today. T. Bone was proud to capture this close-up of a deer.



The afternoon was declared, "fun," and "awesome," and "tiring" too!
We all were called to attention just in time. There were 4 deer in a clearing on our way out of the preserve.


I love afternoons off, spending time with my amazing kids out in nature, how they love the outdoors, animals (even caterpillars) and each other.

No comments: