Wednesday, October 13, 2010

In The Air

The moment I willed myself awake this morning, it was apparent that fall returned overnight. That simple fact put a spring in this nostalgia junkies step. I'm inspired by longings and sentimental recollections what can I say? I managed to make T. Bone and Miss Bit's favorite lumberjack breakfast and they were all smiles as they scarfed it down. Sadly, I haven't pulled out the griddle since school started because we always seem to be short on time between sun- up and send-off. I must confess that I didn't want to get out of my super new super soft flannel pjs, but it's a blessing I had to or else I probably would have lounged in them for the duration of the day. For the record, I'm not against pajama days and am actually rather for them, but it was simply too beautiful to be a shut in today.

I had just enough time to get a latte - pumpkin spice - in between dropping the kids at school and having to return to read to Miss Bit's class. It was my privilege to share Piggie Pie with the first graders in honor of my star of week. It's a fall favorite in our house, and they were all laughing and enjoying the clever, silly story too. The bonus was that my girl wasn't embarrassed by my animated Gritch voice complete with creepy cackle. I almost didn't want to leave, but then I remembered what a sunny, crisp day was waiting for me and Mrs. R. said something about math...and well, I'm just not an arithmetic aficionado.

After a short stint at home to start dinner (a turkey breast in the crock pot that smelled like Thanksgiving all day long), I layered up and then I headed off over the river and along the winding roads for 6 miles. They were shorter than usual all because I cruised my path backwards, which is to say that the downhills were my uphills and right turns were left turns so I felt like it was all uncharted territory. I found that it's good and healthy to mix things up once in awhile.

And speaking of healthy, I steamed a big bowl of spinach to go with my grilled tomato mozzarella sandwich and was so satisfied by my lunch that I wasn't the least bit hungry until dinner. Hmmm...maybe because I took the time to actually plate my food and sit at the table to enjoy it. I baked muffins for today's after-school snack, scoured the bathrooms and did so many loads of laundry I lost count. And before I knew it, it was time to get in the pick-up line where I enjoyed a few pages of my novel as I waited for both my stars.

The days...they just seem to disappear. Time evaporates. Poof...day's done. It's all I can do to take care of the daily and weekly things I need to attend to: my house, my health, my family, although not in that order...at least not anymore. September ushered in back-to-school and I was perfectly primed to hit the ground running eager to cross off projects galore from my lists that multiply like busy bunnies. It seems like I've only added to them, but on days like today...I'm more than OK with that. I ask myself: self is it worth it to strip my mud room's hideous wallpaper in lieu of a long walk? Does it make sense to skip baking...preparing home cooked meals for my family in order to purge our dressers and closets? Do I want to sacrifice sanity for a perfect house? Are obligations more weighty than tuggings of the heart and mind, or spirit and soul? No, no, no and no! It's one of those days where I feel free to embrace what to me really matters. Days are short and life not much longer so I'm happy for these moments of clarity. No rose colored glasses. No, just honest to goodness true to who and what deserves my limited time and finite energy.

No comments: