Friday, July 9, 2010

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...


Perching our chairs in the cool, refreshing water. Miss Bit was off and diving before long, but I lingered between trips to the raft and games of frisbee with my book.



I lingered so long that I was able to finish The Glass Castle. Walls' gripping memoir was nothing short of inspiring because the odds were triple stacked against her and her siblings to succeed, and yet they did.

Weeping willow trees. When Miss Bit was little she called them Survivor Trees. I never cognitively knew why, but intuitively I understood. She also used to call Parmesan cheese Carmage.

Journaling. I was able to catch up on both T. Bone's and Miss Bit's journals this week. Then I found the travel journal I started a few years ago when I was cleaning out a random drawer. The last entry was Lake Winnepisaukee in 2007. Shortly after we returned from New Hampshire, my Mom was diagnosed and life changed forever for all of us. Yesterday I tried to pick up where I left off: Powers Lake, August 2008. The pages were stained with my tears. It was the last vacation we took with my Mom, and we knew that short of a miracle, her time was running out...it would be our last. That made for a beautiful, yet bittersweet week.

Memories.

Mascots.

the hot dog

the Polish

the Italian...not pictured are the brat and the chorizo.
Dogged determination displayed by cats. We haven't been turning on the faucets for these two since our water consumption went from 13,000 to 27,000 gallons last quarter, but they still wait for the fresh flow.


New pillows for the family room with the perfect combination of colors to complement the room's new paint job.


My girl's got her Grandpa's (and her Daddy's) brilliant blues. Beware she's got her Mama's pout.


Happy Birthday America... birthday cake ice cream with gobs of red and blue frosting. It only took 200 some odd years to figure out this most delicious of flavors.


Miss Bit lost her first tooth over the weekend. She finally let her Daddy yank it out and then she proceeded to tell anyone she encountered for the next few days that the tooth fairy left her $5.50 because she's 5 1/2! My Gramps tied a string to my first loose tooth, tied the other end to the door and then slammed it. That's how I lost my first tooth.


B. Bone made yummy Harp burger sliders on the 4th and served them up with a side of Hooly's hot wings. Nanny would have been...was surely proud.




My Dad is feeling well enough after his procedure to run the bases (he's on first here) and play golf again.


Tigger. He is such a love bug even if he does lounge on the kitchen table.



Quesadillas with black bean and corn relish and hubby's homemade salsa.
A short, sassy summer bob.
T. Bone is impressing his new coaches with his skills and it looks like he'll be starting come game time.
Miss Bit came home from camp yesterday and when I asked how her day was, she said, "AWESOME!" That's music to a mama's ears.

No comments: