Friday, July 23, 2010

Girl's Day Out



Not long after we got home yesterday afternoon, the skies got dark and then noticibly darker with a friendly green tint to them. Shortly after the ominous skies moved in, there was thunder and lightning, wind and blinding, driving, relentless rain and sirens sounding from numerous surrounding communities. In a couple short hours we were deluged with 7 or so inches of rain. Streets and freeways became rivers and low lying areas became lakes. There were sink holes, sewage dumps into our "great lake" and stranded commuters throughout the metro area. Our sump pump that never turns on was running nonstop throughout the night and for much of the day today. We are lucky though...we are dry.

When I got up early this morning, the skies were somber gray and the world still soggy, but I thought I could sneak in a walk before the next round moved in. By the time I was dressed and ready, the rain returned so I decided to kick box instead. I wasn't about to let a little storm derail me and actually felt like I was off to a good start to the end of the week. Then the phone rang just before we were going to head out for the day and my day got even better. The news was no camp for Miss Bit...that meant no work for me and we took absolute advantage of the free day.

Me and my girl decided that a rainy day was a perfect day to spend in the catacombs of the public museum, and so that's just what we did. That is after we dropped a shunning T. Bone off at his slighty soggy camp.

Our first stop was the butterfly exhibit, which was a HUGE hit for my insect loving little lady. She was discouraged immediately when she couldn't get one to land on her hand. I promised her that one would. When one did, she was beside herself, "Mom just like you promised," as if I had myself walked on water. A very large butterfly perched on the top of my head for a few minutes much to her delight. The other highlights were the taxidermied animals, "real live" mummies, bare breasted pygmie women ("He he he...look at her boobs!"), the shrunken heads ("Are those necklaces?"), and the journey down into the depths of the sea ("Will there be sharks like that great white in Cape Cod? Are we going to Cape Cod tomorrow? When are we going? I wish we were going tomorrow!") After a few hours exploring the exhibits, we got some popcorn for lunch, shared a soda and found seats smack dap in the middle of the theater at the tippy top for Under the Sea at the Imax. We were both wowed by the garden of eels, awed by the leafy sea dragons, and ready to adopt every one of the sea lions although we did not want to cuddle the cuttlefish.

It was such an enjoyable few hours. At the end of the day, I have to say that I am rather fond of these rain days!

No comments: