Friday, September 3, 2021

Firsts and Lasts

 

The stifling heat broke this week and mornings and evenings hint of fall. This is my sweet spot. This is my weather. I'm about to head out for a walk with Dani Shapiro. I love her Family Secrets podcast. I wanted to come here first to put it out there that Lils survived the first week of her last year of high school. It was a short week that felt long especially with a golf meet smack dab in the middle. They rolled out the red carpet and are promising a return to normal. Normal while masked. I don't agree, but we'll do what we have to do to have in person instruction, homecoming, prom, graduation.

Here at Casa Wags we burn the candle at both ends until the very end so the first day is always a classic baptism by fire. I set my alarm to ensure she was up in time. Her room looked like a bomb detonated as she tried on almost every piece of clothing she owns in search of the perfect outfit the night before. I was overwhelmed with guilt when I tucked myself back in bed after wishing her a good day, but I managed to be on the verge of sleep when I realized I had to take a last day photo.

She complied, but took the opportunity to remind me that this was the last. Yep, I'm well aware that we're going through 12 months of lasts thank you very much.

That being said, my firstborn is still home. His classes start Wednesday. The plan is one more Windmill Beach day, one more dinner out and one last trip to Costco. I'll drive him and all his broccoli and eggs and chicken to Madison Sunday morning. I think I'm more excited than he is only because I think he's going to have a stellar year. I'm going to miss my kitchen muse, my movie buddy, my cat whisperer.

Last night I made his favorite dinner. He loves honey mustard chicken thighs served with wild rice and roasted asparagus. Then he stepped out to Kopps for an Oreo Shake and a quart of Fat Boy that was as good as the name suggests. We cued up a movie...a new release that cost $20. That's something we could not have done without grief were Mike Wags home. It was still a pretty cheap date.

Mike's in Durango for work, but he's having some fun too. That fun takes place on a Harley. He reported that the mountains are quite the place for a ride.

I'm off today, but in solidarity with my daughter, I'm going to start getting up earlier in the morning. First thing is also my favorite time for a walk.

No comments: