Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Weekending

After a full weekend, I'm finally feeling ready for the new week. Monday was hard. Mondays are hard. It was a stormy, gloomy day...unseasonably cool too, and that added to my malaise. I came home and confessed to Mike that I was in a funk. A glass of wine, a pot pie made the day before ready to put in the oven for dinner, a couple episodes of Mr Robot and cat cuddles lured me back to my happy place. So did Lil's contagious enthusiasm over her 92 in her tournament that day and the second Facetime with Ted in as many days. She medaled in at 12th out of 125 golfers. He is missing home a little and his Gustavo a lot.

So last week I waxed on about not needing to change. It was an exercise in thou dost protest too much. Hands down, the best way out of a funk for me is self-care. This morning I got up for a before work workout and I juiced a big bunch of celery. I'm wearing orange and I feel it in my bones that today is going to be a good day.

It was a good weekend too. One that could not have been any better. I resisted my penchant to tag out and instead said, yes, why not, when.

My brother and sil came for an end of week happy hour Friday that turned into an impromptu dinner on the patio at Poco Loco. We floated the idea of takeout and then decided we should go out. It was a beautiful night for outdoor dining and those are in short supply around here. It was the right call.

Saturday was sunny and warm and perfect for a day of pontooning. We enjoyed a day on the water with my aunt and uncle tooling around, tying up at dive bars for a game of darts and a beer, and finding old friends literally in the middle of the lake. One of them is the proud new owner of his very own island. We had bar burgers under twinkle lights at the Hideaway after a full day of fun in the sun.

 


 



I got busy in the kitchen Sunday morning making dinner for a friend who just had surgery. Mike delivered the pot pie and warm banana bread and stayed for the Packer game. Lily and I headed to the Third Ward to scout out spots for her senior pictures this Saturday. It was hopping. And it was funny because there were numerous senior photo sessions going on around town. We did a little shopping and waited in a crazy long line for iced coffees before stopping at a park on Brewer's Hill that may be another great photo op. The temps dipped into the 60s and I started to regret my choice of beverage.


 


I tried a new sheet pan recipe for dinner: hoisin pork tenderloin with roasted sweet potato wedges and green beans. Chicken for Lils. It was good and comforting on the chilly night. After dinner, we cued up the newly released Malignant, and we all three agreed it was a tad hokey. Still, it was a perfect way to spend a Sunday night.

No comments: