Saturday, September 25, 2021

Saturday Morning

 


I've been quiet here. I cannot explain it. At least once a day, I have the urge to write, but it quickly passes. And then at the end of the day I miss the memories I capture in this space.

This time of year always takes the wind out of my sails because it's hard not to notice the swift passage of time with back to school and the change in seasons. Never mind that I'm a fall girl to my core. I still feel more wistful and wishful than usual as summer comes to an end.

I was up early and out on the trails on the first day of fall. Lils needed me to help fashion her toga before school. It's homecoming so a week of spirit days. I'd say her spirit has been limp so I was thrilled that she wanted to participate. She vetoed the gold cording I found calling me extra. It's true. She gives me an inch and I take a mile. I thought for a nano second about going back to bed because it was chilly, but I resisted the urge for comfort and ease. I knew a few miles would be better for me than a few more minutes of sleep. It actually was a gorgeous morning and the path was busy. Preferring solitude, I hopped on the river trails and it was a beautiful choice. It always is.

I caught a glimpse of my front porch as I left for work that morning and immediately thought...seasonal confusion. The smash up of leggy annuals with the bright bursting mums is just where we are at present. I need to remember to lean into it. I need to stop worrying about how we got here, or where we are going. I need to be.here.now.

Last weekend I went for a sunset cruise on the lake with the girls. It was a beautiful night to be out and about. I felt like a tourist in my own town. We met some visitors who had fallen in love with Milwaukee over their weekend stay despite having low expectations. I felt pride as if a mama bear. I do love my city and I wonder why I don't explore it more. How have I never done this? Why do we wait until we are on vacation to seek out the sights? That's going to change.

Ted just came into the kitchen and declared: It smells like fall. I've got a batch of granola in the oven. He came home for the weekend to surprise Grandpa who we are celebrating later today. I think he also needed a kitty fix and a comfy couch and large screen tv on which to watch the Ryder Cup. I love that he loves to come home and isn't too proud to admit it. And I also love that he came home sans laundry. He actually did it before he left. Progress.

It's only Saturday morning, but it's already been a great weekend.




No comments: