Saturday, March 28, 2020

What Day Is It?

It doesn't take long to lapse into a new routine. I'm using the word lapse deliberately because one of my new habits is sleeping in. It's not something I'm proud of and yet I'm leaning in to this late blooming slothful side of myself. To be fair, I've been staying up later too, but I miss my early morning solitude and that feeling of getting a jump on the day. I've been getting up at 10:30 most mornings. This morning I was up at 9 o'clock, but I decided to go back to sleep because I was enjoying my dream. I cannot remember it now. That about sums things up.

In the middle of the night, I was startled awake by a noise that I can only describe as ruckus in the street. I bolted to the window a couple times then settled back down only to hear it again. Mike finally filled me in. It was thunder. I tell you, everything feels like an assault right now. I don't remember ever being scared of thunder.

The kids are still sleeping, but not for long. Mike and I are making breakfast. I made my easy eggs Benedict and Mike made an impressive fruit salad. Teddy has plans to run in between rain storms with his a friend and work on his paper on the plea system. We have a mother son date to make banana ice cream this afternoon and a family movie date in the family room at 3:30. I'm finding it's important to have a plan, a semblance of a schedule. Otherwise the day slips away and I've done nothing but spin my wheels.

Speaking of wheels, cleaning my car was yesterday's project and yes I'm really blogging about it. It was a mess after getting stuck in the mud at the lake last weekend. We were spinning our wheels and yes it felt like a metaphor for reality these days. Lily came along for the ride to the car wash. She's a go no matter where we're going these days as long as she can drive. I had to laugh because she declared that vacuuming the van was satisfying. She's definitely mine. We made our weekly trip to the grocery store afterward and were able to get everything on our list and some things on Linda's too. We boycotted a hike because it was cold and gray and getting late. Ted went for a hike on the dunes 30 miles north with a friend and Mike met a friend for a little happy hour. The two amigos called all their other high school buddies from here and there and caught up. Some of them have been out of contact for a long time. I guess I'm saying that if there's anything good to come out of this perhaps it's a renewed appreciation for the people in our lives, for our connections. I've talked to my dad and Judy every day when normally we catch up once a week. I've been texting my uncle regularly too. So there's that. Lily and I took advantage of a great sale and did a little online shopping when we got home. Mike came home with carryout Chinese for dinner. It was nice to have the night off from cooking even though I was hoping for fish. These days we take what we can get. I'm reminded of my old friend Barney: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Today I'm going to drop off a care package for Linda: her groceries, some banana bread and a book. She's been cooped up alone for 2 weeks and I can tell she's a little lonely. I'll get some exercise and work on getting the basement sorted.  That's enough. I've got to leave some line items for tomorrow and the day after and so forth and so on. Rumor has it that this is reality until April 24th.

No comments: