Saturday, March 7, 2020

This Week

Have you noticed the bird's are singing their spring songs? Don't they sound happy? Hopeful? We are actually enjoying a spring in these parts, but I won't be the least bit surprised when it snows again. When not if. The squirrels have been extra frisky out in the yard too. When I see a chipmunk, I'll finally believe it. We set the clocks forward tonight, which is a major undertaking in this house with a wall of clocks, but I've already been aware of the growing hours of daylight. And it's not just that there's more of it. It's that it's different. It's vivid. Ardent. A tad bit of an assault to the unaccustomed eye. 

Yesterday we decided to work a half day. It was quiet and we were caught up. The sudden free hours before me had me temporarily paralyzed with all the possibilities. What to do? Where to go? I opted to do some shopping and then I did some sprucing. I found the exact rug I wanted for the kitchen and new lamps for the dining room too. Then I put away what was left of my winter decor and I poured a glass of crisp white wine in celebration of the return to light, the weekend, the end of a stressful week.





I had another dental appointment and a doctor appointment too. That made for a long week of anxious anticipation. This round of dental work went better, and yet I was uncomfortable. I woke Thursday morning in Teddy's bed and I noticed straight away that my mouth wasn't as sore as when I sulked in there unable to sleep the night before. The alleviated pain was a small miracle because all night I dreamt of drilling. No wonder given my 2 1/2 hour stint in the chair earlier in the day. Add that to the 4 hours a few weeks ago and what you get is more dental work in the past 3 weeks than I've had in the past decade. And thousands of dollars spent even with insurance. That's a different kind of pain. Anyways that's almost behind me now.


I finished Olive, Again. This novel, just like the first, is comprised of one rich character study after another. The most generous of which is the title character's. She's a character you either love or loathe. I happen to love her mostly for her brutal honesty and her constant pragmatism. And she makes me laugh. She also makes me question myself. I read...I pause. This line from Helped stayed with me. It's so beautifully true.



I think our job – maybe even our duty – is to bear the burden
 of the mystery with as much grace as we can.

Now I'm keeping time with The Heart's Invisible Furies. Boyne's novel is wildly entertaining and smartly written. I've laughed out-loud. A lot. I've blushed. Often. I'm getting strong Goldfinch vibes and that was one of my all-time best reads. I still have 400 odd pages to go so it's too soon to commit to a must-read review, but I think that's where we're headed.





I have Sam Sifton's See You on Sunday on order from the library. Sunday dinner has a special place in my heart. When I was a kid, we went to my Grandma Rosie's most Sundays. She didn't have a dining room so we'd crowd around her kitchen table all together. Nothing fancy. That wasn't the point. After dinner, my dad would take us across town back to my mom's for the week. My mom revived Sunday dinners when we were young adults. We'd be busy with friends all weekend, but Sundays were for family. We'd gather on her deck or in her dining room and linger. I'd give just about anything for one of her pork roasts or her chicken and broccoli casserole. I'd give anything to see that twinkle in her eye so happy, so proud, so blessed. After my mom passed, we kept Sunday dinner going with my brother and sil, but it's peetered out. There were often practices or games and homework left to the last minute. And yet is has always been a thing here at Casa Wags. The one night we were all certain to be home for dinner. I'm hoping to start tomorrow. It's going to be a beautiful 60 degrees and bbq chicken is on the menu. Anyways, this quote pretty much sums up my philosophy and has me certain I'm going to be buying this book.


Word got around. And the calls or texts would start coming. "There dinner on Sunday?" Yes, see you then. Bring wine or a cake, a friend, some flowers, nothing at all. People are lonely. They want to be a part of something, even when they can't identify that longing as a need. They show up. Feed them. It isn't more complicated than that. The point of Sunday dinner is just to have it. Even if you don't particularly like entertaining, there is pleasure to be had in cooking for others, and great pleasure to be taken from the    experience of gathering with others. Sunday dinner isn't a dinner party. It is not entertainment. It is just fact, like a standing meeting or a regular touch football game in the park. It makes life a little better every time.

We lived on a hearty and never-ending pot of Pasta Fagioli all week. I wasn't inspired to cook so it was a delicious Godsend. Then Thursday I put together a Chicken Kiev dish. I was feeling nostalgic and truth be told, I'm a little bored with chicken, but it's the only meat Lily will eat. I thought I'd be able to chew with some drugs. A glass of wine. Okay, both. Mike and I decided that if we're in the mood for a throwback stuffed chicken recipe, we'll stick with Chicken Cordon Bleu. 


I'm starting to plan for next weekend's Feb/March St Paddy's Day birthday bash. We'll celebrate Ashley, Judy and Brad. And our Irish heritage.  I'm excited to give them their gifts. I put serious thought into them this year. I have my menu set, and I'm looking forward to that too. Especially the Chocolate Stout Cake. Ted will be home. It's the start of his spring break. He's going on a quick trip to Door County where he's rented a house with some friends. I chuckle a little that a group of guys would want to go to the quaint peninsula, but only just a little. I know he has fond memories from our many visits there over the years and it's somewhere other than home. His classes end May 1. That seems so early to me. It will be nice to have him home for the summer and it may be the last, at least for awhile.


Lily is getting ready for softball. Anxious to start driving. Poor girl has to wait until August, but she's practicing every chance she gets. Twice this week I was suckered into an end of day Starbucks run. I'm not sure whether she wanted the mocchiatto or the time behind the wheel more. It's no surprise that she's a natural. Last night she was picked up at 9 o'clock by a girlfriend. I think that's usually when I was coming home. Yes, times are changing and yes, she's growing up. Sigh.


Speaking of times, I steered clear of the news this week. I cannot stomach the topsy turvy market, the media frenzy over the virus, the carnage in TN, the clowns running for office. I tell you I'm understanding the idea that ignorance is bliss on a new level.  Sometimes it's all just too much. Yet I'll continue to pray and do my part to make the world a better place.


My peeps are still fast asleep. Today I'll take a long walk in the park less visited, we'll go to church and dinner. Lily's choice. In my little life,  there is peace and grace and goodness and for that I am always grateful. I'm just going to keep listening to the birds until I feel the rosiness about which they sing.






   


No comments: