Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Another Day

I'm having chocolate cake for breakfast again. That's either the sign of very good or very bad times. No need for explanations. I hit the snooze between 7:30 and 8:30 instead of getting up for a walk. Then when I finally got up, I quick made the bed so I couldn't crawl back in. There is a part of me that dreams of sleeping until this is all a memory. That's the small, cowardly, faint-hearted part of me.

I was greeted by the smell of coffee when I came downstairs ready for work. Mike made me a cup. It was my first smile of the day. He was already on the phone with clients in the kitchen, his new office. The kids were still sleeping. Tigger is very happy to have a full house of his peeps. Another part of me wishes I were a cat right now. That's the delicate, timorous, agoraphobic part of me.

Ted didn't get home until the wee hours last night. It is his spring break though. He was at a friend's house with a small group. I'll find out how small tonight. He returned from Door County yesterday and it turned out to be the perfect place to spring break this year. It was deserted. They hiked, ate out, watched movies. He went straight to the club for his last workout for awhile. They're closed starting today. He has plans to run and bike. He will not be going back to Madison. The rest of the semester will be online. No spring afternoons on the Terrace. No Frisbee in the quad. No runs along Lake Mendota. This year.

Lily finished her work yesterday and then walked over to a friend's. They played softball and soccer. She called it gym class. She was not happy about school closing, but she admitted that it's not as bad as she thought it'd be. She's still feeling sad for juniors missing prom and seniors who may not walk in graduation. At this point there is so much uncertainty, but I'm hoping that we'll begin to see the forest through the trees soon.

Soon has taken on a new meaning when every day feels endless. It's fascinating to me that most people fantasize about two weeks with nothing to do, and now here we are. Yes, here we are completely at odds with ourselves and our fellow quarantinees. Isn't it ironic? I have a stack of books, but I have a monkey mind. I can't focus. I have a million projects waiting for me around the house, but zero ambition. Limbo is such a strange place to inhabit.

And yet we keep on keeping on. Teddy is finishing up his business school application, Lily is working on her NHS application as well as one for a summer job, Mike is trouble shooting with his dealers and I actually scored some hand sanitizer for the TODAY show this morning. It's the only thing my customers want to buy and, of course, it's in short supply. Mike made a perfect corn beef for our St Paddy's Day dinner last night and then we watched a bad horror film on Netflix. It almost seemed like a normal night at Casa Wags. Almost. 

No comments: