Saturday, March 21, 2020

Keeping On

I couldn't sleep last night. I was tossing and turning so I moved down to the couch. On my way down the stairs, I kicked over a container and woke up the person I was trying not to disturb. I was up with the sun after a fitful few hours. It snowed for awhile. Just light flurries. I was surprised because I haven't seen a weather report in a week. I'm packing to go away for a bit and I have no idea whether I should be bringing wool or not. I am.

Teddy went out for a run with some friends earlier. They stood around the yard at a distance when they were done. Normally, they would come in for breakfast. Of course, there is no normal right now. Lily's been Facetiming with friends. Technology is actually making this easier. Can you imagine the isolation we'd suffer if not for our connections?

Mike's making pizza dough right now for dinner tonight. Last night I made Spicy Dal and we scooped it up with garlicky naan. I was very happy. It was delicious and satisfying and meatless. I love the way a few simple ingredients can come together in such a surprising way. I adapted the recipe from Mark Bittman's new cookbook, which I have on loan until at least May 1. That's the earliest date the library will reopen. There are plenty of other recipes I want to try so I guess that's a bonus. Mike and I watched Bloodline in the basement. I made him put on the twinkle lights and I felt like a teenager. Ted staked his claim on the family room and Lily tucked away in her room. We're quite blessed to have the space to spread out.

It will be good to be at Windmill Beach for a stretch and a breath of fresh air although I must confess that I have a touch of anxiety over leaving home. I know it will be good to take a walk along the lake, play games and make homemade pizzas with my family. It may be a good time to set an alarm so I'm up to watch the sunrise. I can use  a little awe and amazement in my life right now.

No comments: