Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Weekending

It's been awhile. I've been keeping things close to the vest. It's not unusual for me during times of change. Currently the change is the weather. The change of seasons has been known to upend me. Yes, even when the changes are more light and warmer temps. When my equilibrium is upset, I feel it.

Yet at the end of this weekend, I feel full. Full as in happy. It has been a stretch of days spent with family and friends. After QT, getting out, gathering - it feels good. The snow is melting, the birds are singing and I'm thinking about flowers and dreaming about that first thunderstorm.

Sue and I had a date Thursday. Our guys were at their hangout playing cribbage so we did a little furniture consignment shopping finding a few interesting odds and ends, and then we came back to Casa Wags for dinner and drinks. I pulled together my second frittata of the week...my second ever. It was a bit of challenge as by Thursday reserves are depleted. We enjoyed the basic ham and white cheddar dish that was elevated by adding shallots and brightened by topping with thin slices of super sweet tomatoes. With a side of pan fried potatoes and a slice of toasted multi-grain bread, it was a delightful meal with a nice cabernet that flowed as easily as our conversation. We visited for hours, but still Sue was home before Mike.

Teddy came home rather spur of the minute on Friday. He needed GFL. That stands for gym, food, laundry in the Guido tradition of GTL (gym, tan, laundry). He's already back at school with clean clothes and stocked shelves. Mike is left with the sore muscles after trying to keep up with a twenty year old at the gym. We headed to my brother and sil's for an impromptu visit Friday evening. After pizza, we sampled an array of cupcakes and aperitifs. We also shared stories and laughs and then played a new game. It was kind of a late night, but one we all agreed was well worth the lost sleep.

That made Saturday a long day as I labored through shopping, chores, chauffeuring and cooking. Linda was released from the hospital early afternoon after over a week in isolation. I picked her up, took her straight through the Starbucks drive thru and then got her settled at home. To say I am relieved is an understatement. Then I got busy in the kitchen fulfilling her request for a pot pie with no carrots and extra peas. I made one for Ted with lots of carrots and no peas, and one for Mike with carrots and peas. I aim to please. #foodislove. I also made a mammoth pot of veggie soup for the week, and twice baked potatoes at Ted's request to go alongside the tenderloin that was dinner. I forget how fun he is to cook for and how well we eat when he is home.

After a lovely family dinner, we convened in the family room to watch a movie. I opted for No Escape because I love Owen Wilson and a good thriller. We were all on the edges of our seats. It was intense. There is no place I'd rather be than with my three on a Saturday night.

I was up early Sunday for a workout before church. I was so grateful to be going to church as a family after QT, and also knowing that Father Tim was presiding over mass. The gist of his homily was that life is messy, but awesome so we should smile. He delivered this message via stories of three people in his life that he gave last rights to last week. You should know that his sermon was much more eloquent than my summary. Post mass we headed to our new favorite brunch spot to meet up with my brother and sil. It was delicious and fun and lively. People were even eating in the aire libre. It was a balmy 30 something degrees. That goes to show how people are willing to do anything for a little normalcy. In true Ted fashion, he ordered two entrees: breakfast tacos and a big Belgian banana waffle topped with nuts and cream. He cleaned both plates and even had room for a couple beignets dipped in chocolate. I didn't finish my one plate, but I still had to come home for a nap before finishing the mound of laundry and delivering Linda's dinner. She admitted to having a rough day. Today she's a little better. The humble pie is getting credit.

We had another lovely family dinner at Casa Wags and the meal was another Teddy request. Spanish Sheet Pan Chicken was on the menu. I made some tweaks and I do believe I've perfected the dish. Ted took the leftovers back to Madison.

I really didn't want the weekend to end, but it did and too soon. Ted is back in serious student mode, Lils has the ACT this week and she's closing in on confirmation, Mike will be back at his desk which is now in the guest room working longer hours than before he was virtual, and I will keep working on my Lenten promises and this successful first quarter I'm having at work. I'm grateful for more positivity and regularity and balance.





 

No comments: