Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Weekending

It felt like spring this weekend. We went for a long family walk at the lakefront on Saturday afternoon. It was sunny and in the 60s. It was a dog and baby parade. I saw everything from a bare chested biker to people all layered up. Yesterday it was cool and crazy windy. It's starting to snow right now and that's about right for spring in Wisconsin. We're betwixt and between. Cue the seasonal confusion.

We stayed close to home for the most part of the weekend and that is fine with us. I was happy that Lily got together with girlfriends for a sleepover Friday. She's been spending most of her time at home studying and working out in her free time. I'm supportive of her commitments to school and health, but I think the isolation that is this pandemic has made these teenagers feel withdrawn. The aloneness starts to be normal. It's not. It's not healthy. I try not to prod and pry because that is a surefire way to shut down teenagers, but I worry. And I get it because I am feeling the same way.

While she was away behaving like a teenager, Mike and I behaved like tired adults at the end of the week. We made pizza and watched movies. We had two good picks and the perfect relaxing, entertaining night.

Jess accepted an invitation to come for burgers on the grill Saturday night and it was just so good to see her face after several months. It was also good to finally pick out carpet. I knew Jess would give me her honest opinion.

Sunday was the perfect day of sleeping in, sitting with my book, spending time in the kitchen and getting in a workout. I made a Zucchini Gratin I've had on my mind. It was a simple dish of onions, zucchini, cream, bread crumbs and Gruyere and it was perfect alongside grilled chops and wild rice. I also made individual triple chocolate tarts and I didn't even realize it was 3.14. Jess was the initial inspiration for this dessert so if you happen to read this...I owe you one. I just dropped off two at Linda's for her birthday. She's still home recuperating.










No comments: