Tuesday, January 30, 2018

This is Seventeen


This is seventeen and also the perfect example of a picture's worth of a thousand words. I took this of Teddy Saturday afternoon. It was almost 2 o'clock as is evidenced by at least 3 clocks behind him. Teenagers sleep late. They sleep late because they stay up late. How late I'll never know because it's way past my bedtime. I woke him up and lured him from his cave with the promise of breakfast. I planned to reheat some quiche and warm some muffins, but he declined. He was hungry for pancakes. The bottle of syrup is proof that I have a difficult time saying no to my son. He thanked me profusely as he cleaned his plate and that's why I indulge him when I can. He can make his own breakfast, but the day will come and too soon for that. Seventeen is teetering on the brink of independence. I consider it a parenting win that he knows how to make pancakes, and my prerogative that I'll serve them up hot and buttery while I still can.

Seventeen is also being tuned in around the clock. His ear buds are like another appendage. There is no silence. There are videos and music and texts so constant stimulus. See how he cannot take his eyes off the screen? He's strongly connected to his friends and the world and less connected at home. I joke that he just eats and sleeps here, but for the most part that's true. I already miss him even as I feel a swell of pride at the young man he's becoming. Sure I wish he'd talk to me more, procrastinate less, and be a little friendlier to his sister, but he's seventeen. 

No comments: